Re: [sig-policy] prop-133: Clarification on Sub-Assignments

  • To: Srinivas Chendi <sunny@apnic.net>, mailman_SIG-policy <sig-policy@apnic.net>
  • Subject: Re: [sig-policy] prop-133: Clarification on Sub-Assignments
  • From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:07:57 +0100
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple; d=consulintel.es; s=MDaemon; t=1582542479; x=1583147279; i=jordi.palet@consulintel.es; q=dns/txt; h=User-Agent:Date: Subject:From:To:Message-ID:Thread-Topic:References:In-Reply-To: Mime-version:Content-type:Content-transfer-encoding; bh=cy9NgBxY SdkiI5eqDumlsKY93Nqwk8TMGw+KU00n0h4=; b=QURjDbhP6rHbWot+BapH+06I 52GvWD8Eowq6e3J4l10GjHYd7xDGQn6RgcNsYSmopvABsog3aqxTiSuXHF+++mWY OKioTYystS78qagYIXflI4yZu+Qv6PHJM59yRz+adDBvYIuy8FtIXDXvC8uRHn9c 3YssYVgCxkQ5e+J6ex0=

    • Hi Sunny, all,

      Let me try to clarify.

      2.2.3 mention "address space that is delegated to an LIR" ... "for specific use within the Internet infrastructure they operate". Let's put aside, for the moment, the end-user case.

      If you read 9.2. Initial IPv6 allocations and 10.0. IPv6 assignments, there is not any explicit reference to assignments for an LIR.

      We could interpret 10.1.4.1. Initial assignment "Organizations are eligible for an IPv6 Provider Independent delegation if they are able to demonstrate a valid reason that an assignment from their ISP, or LIR, is not suitable.", as if an ISP/LIR can't assign part of their own allocation to its own network, but it is really weird.

      So, I'm wondering if this is valid case anymore, or it is one of those things that come from the original IPv6-policy, and was drafted due to lack of experience at that time. Do we have a case for that? In other RIRs, this has been already removed.

      Regards,
      Jordi
      @jordipalet

      El 24/2/20 4:39, "Srinivas Chendi" <sunny@apnic.net> escribió:

          Hello Jordi,

          On 22/02/2020 2:20 pm, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > After my previous response to Owen, I can't find anymore any the text in the actual policy (neither guidelines)  about assignments. So, I'm wondering if I was wrong, or it has been removed at some point and I don't recall it ... Could the secretariat point out to the specific text about that? If it has been removed, clearly there is a need to further update section 2.2.3 to remove that reference and avoid the mismatch.

          You mean section 2.2.3 text? It is not removed. You can find it in the
          current policy manual here

          https://www.apnic.net/community/policy/resources#2.2.3.-Assigned-address-space

          > One more request for the secretariat. Could you please provide stats on the number of ISP (not end-users) assignments, for example in the last 12-15 years, in order to understand if this is a real requirement?

          Noted! Secretariat will provide the stats soon.

          Regards
          Sunny