Re: [sig-policy] prop-134-v001: Secretariat impact assessment

  • To: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
  • Subject: Re: [sig-policy] prop-134-v001: Secretariat impact assessment
  • From: Adam Gosling <email@adamgosling.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 10:52:49 +1000
  • Cc: mailman_SIG-policy <sig-policy@apnic.net>

    • Hi Jordi

      My comments are inline

      New version:

      Step 2: Consensus Determination
      Consensus is defined as “rough consensus” (RFC7282) as observed by the Chairs.

      You are making a significant change, but presenting it as a “clarification”.

      It is okay to consider adoption of IETF definitions of “rough consensus” to use in the APNIC Policy Process, but this is not a clarification. To be clear, the SIG doesn’t currently use the “rough consensus” model in RFC 7282. It uses the consensus model in the APNIC SIG Guidelines. https://www.apnic.net/community/participate/sigs/sig-guidelines/#steps

      The RFC is similar, but fundamentally different. Changing this in the PDP is not just a word tweak. It would result in a different approach from the Chairs and participants. There is no concept of “Minor” and “Major” objections in RFC 7282, for example.

      Consensus is determined first considering the SIG mailing list, other
      electronic means, and the SIG session, and afterwards at the Member Meeting.

      I’m supportive of the spirit of this change.

      It’s a bit late in the day to be proposing changes, but I would have written:

      “The Chair(s) assess if the SIG has reached consensus on a proposal by considering discussions both on the mailing list and at the Open Policy (Policy SIG) Meeting. The Chair(s) may use measurement techniques to take the temperature of the room. Consensus must be reached first at the SIG session and afterwards at the Member Meeting for the process to continue."

      I think retaining the “process to continue” wording is important. I also think there is a lack of clarity about who is deciding Consensus at the Member Meeting. Is it the APNIC Executive Council Chair? The Chair of that particular meeting? The Policy SIG Chair? Or the Co-Chair presenting the report?

      If there is no consensus on a proposal, the authors can decide to
      withdraw it.

      This removes discretion from the Chair (and the SIG), to abandon a proposal if an Author repeatedly persists with the same unpopular idea. I think that’s interesting and worth discussing if that’s what we want.

      Otherwise, the proposal will be considered as expired by the next OPM, unless a new version
      is provided, restarting the discussions with the community.

      I like the idea that a proposal has to change before it can be re-presented. In the past, authors have just re-presented the same proposal until they get an friendly crowd and it passes. The effects of this have been negative IMO.

      Also, could I just add white space to the proposal and say that it has changed? How about this wording?

      "Otherwise, the proposal will be considered expired unless a new version incorporating SIG feedback is provided before the next “Proposal Deadline” to restart the discussions.”

      I hope these suggestions help. It is very difficult to make changes to the PDP. This would also require changes to the SIG Guidelines.

      Regards,

      Adam

      Please, update the version number of this proposal with these changes, which I guess clears your impact assessment as well.

      Regards,
      Jordi
      @jordipalet