APNIC Home APNIC Home
Info & FAQ |  Resource services |  Training |  Meetings |  Membership |  Documents |  Whois & Search |  Internet community

You're here:  Home  Mailing Lists sig-policy

From: "John Mann (ITS)" <john.mann@monash.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 12:51:22 +1100
To: Sanjaya <sanjaya@apnic.net>
Cc: sig-policy@lists.apnic.net
Subject: Re: [sig-policy] The full picture WAS Re: prop-088: Distribution of
IPv4 addresses once the final /8 period starts
Sender: sig-policy-bounces@lists.apnic.net

--===============1560230007==

--90e6ba53af8888f1b804968be5a1

Sanjaya

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Sanjaya <sanjaya@apnic.net> wrote:

> Hi John and all,
>
> We don't currently publish the free pool list. While external sources
> can derive the free pool by comparing APNIC's IANA allocation vs APNIC
> delegation report, APNIC secretariat can actually produce a more
> detailed list of all resources in their different states such as
> delegated, reserved, returned, or available.
>
> I'm interested to hear from the community:
>
> 1. Should APNIC produce a list?

Yes.

> 2. What purpose does it serve?

Data for research. Allows better understanding of the current state.

> 3. What information should be there? Detailed prefix or totals?

At least the detailed prefixes.

a) Publish an official version of Geoff's "prefixes_apnic_pool.txt" file.

b) Extend
http://www.apnic.net/publications/media-library/documents/resource-guidelines/rir-statistics-exchange-format

status
Type of allocation from the set:

{allocated, assigned}

This is the allocation or assignment made by the registry producing the file
and not any sub-assignment by other agencies.

Allow status to be (allocated, assigned, free, reserved, reclaimed)

c) Some other file in some other format, with e.g. a notes field that links
to relevant policy, project descriptions etc, similar to
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.txt

Options a) and b) should only require a couple of extra lines of SQL, a few
extra lines in cron, and job done.

4. What are the benefits and risks of showing such information?

Benefits: More-informed membership.
Reduce confusion / uncertainty.

Showing how small and fragmented the free pool is, and how well it is being
managed should help *me* push my organisation to fully support IPv6 sooner!

Risks: The "free" pool data is already derivable, so no increased risk.
And "reserved", and "reclaimed" are just sub-types of "free" ??

[ Can we assume that there aren't any political secrets that we don't want
to come out? ]

> 5. What should the reporting frequency be?

Daily, as per other information.

Thanks,
John