Summary of NIR SIG in APNIC OPM 16

  • To: <sig-nir at lists dot apnic dot net>
  • Subject: Summary of NIR SIG in APNIC OPM 16
  • From: "Chia-Nan Hsieh \(chianan\)" <chianan at twnic dot net dot tw>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:26:46 +0800
  • Importance: Normal
  • List-archive: <http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/sig-nir/>
  • List-help: <mailto:sig-nir-request@lists.apnic.net?subject=help>
  • List-id: APNIC SIG for National Internet Registries (NIRs) <sig-nir.lists.apnic.net>
  • List-post: <mailto:sig-nir@lists.apnic.net>
  • List-subscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/sig-nir>,<mailto:sig-nir-request@lists.apnic.net?subject=subscribe>
  • List-unsubscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/sig-nir>,<mailto:sig-nir-request@lists.apnic.net?subject=unsubscribe>
  • Sender: sig-nir-admin@lists.apnic.net
    • 
      Maemura san and I would like to thank all the participants of the NIR SIG
      meeting last week, especially to the speakers and their excellent reports. 
      We had five informational reports and one discussion in this meeting.
      
      For those who didn't participate in the NIR SIG meeting, you could get the
      summary information from the enclosed meeting minutes, thanks to Gerard from
      APNIC secretariat.
      
      The meeting materials can be found at:
      http://www.apnic.net/meetings/16/programme/sigs/nir.html
      
      The agreed NIR charter is as below:
      "The charter of the NIR SIG is to share information relating to the
      operations, policies, and procedures of National Internet Registries with
      the aim of promoting close cooperation both between the NIRs and with the
      APNIC Secretariat."
      
      Thank you very much! See you in KL 2004.
      
      Chianan
      Co-Chair, NIR SIG
      
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      ------------------------------------
      
      16th APNIC Open Policy Meeting
      Open NIR meeting
      Thursday 21 August 2003, Lotte World Hotel, Seoul, Korea
      Minutes
      
      Meeting commenced: 4:00 pm
      Chair: Akinori Maemura 
      Co-chair: Chia-Nan Hsieh
      
      The Co-chair introduced the meeting and explained the agenda.
      
      Presentations
      
      1.Draft charter
      Akinori Maemura, JPNIC
      The presenter explained that it is necessary to define a charter for the NIR
      SIG to provide guidance and focus to SIG activities.
      
      The draft charter has already been circulated as follows: The charter of the
      NIR SIG is to share information relating to the operations, policies, and
      procedures of National Internet Registries with the aim of promoting close
      cooperation both between the NIRs and with the APNIC Secretariat.
      
      Questions and discussion
      - The SIG accepted the draft charter without amendment.
      
      2.KRNIC project for updated and advanced whois database
      Jin-man Kim, KRNIC
      The presenter described the goals and status of the KRNIC project to develop
      a more advanced whois database for IP address registration.
      
      The presenter outlined the development timeline for this project and
      outlined the general specifications of the project.
      
      Questions and discussion
      -It was noted that there are two KRNIC technical staff involved in this
      project, as well as three outsourced contractors.
      -It was noted that KRNIC consulted with database users as part of this
      project. It was also noted that privacy and security concerns are now being
      considered.
      -It was noted that KRNIC has developed a very good system of classifications
      to be incorporated into the database. This classification system will help
      with statistical gathering, but will also be useful in cyber-crime and
      security issues.
      -It was confirmed that with the new database classifications, customers who
      change their services will need to update their registrations.
      
      3.JPNIC Open Policy Meeting update
      Yuka Suzuki, JPNIC
      This presentation summarised the discussions and results from the most
      recent JPNIC meeting, held in July 2003.
      
      The presenter described the nature of the JPNIC policy meetings and the
      policy development process and reviewed the history of previous meetings.
      The most recent meeting was well attended by 67 participants and included
      JPNIC, JPIRR, and APNIC updates. It also included policy and operational
      discussions.
      
      The JPNIC IP RMS service was discussed and a status report was delivered.
      
      There was considerable discussion regarding current issues in IPv6 address
      policy, including the proposal to produce an IPv6 Address Guide. There were
      also discussions on downstream allocations and PI address agent service
      (which is in strong demand).
      
      JPNIC is seeking to encourage more proposals from their community. JPNIC are
      also considering whether to plan an additional SIG.
      
      Questions and discussion
      -It was suggested to update the term PI to portable assignment as this has
      been changed in APNIC documentation.
      -It was noted that TWNIC has been wishing to hold a similar meeting but is
      having problems getting ISPs to show interest. It was explained that the
      efforts by JPNIC to raise interest and encourage participation seem to be
      working as the most recent meeting was the most successful one to date. It
      was noted that KRNIC has small workshops with ISPs several times per year
      and encourage policy issues to be discussed by email.
      -JPNIC noted that approximately half of their attendees are ISPs. Academics,
      researchers, and appliance developers also attend.
      -CNNIC noted it does have the same level of profile that some other NIRs
      have, due to the number of ISPs receiving addresses from other
      organizations.
      
      4.APJII Open Policy Meeting update
      Ahmad Alkazimy, APJII
      This presentation was a report on the intentions and effects of the APJII
      Policy Meetings (APM).
      
      The presenter noted that since APMs have commenced, there has been an
      increase in the level of policy knowledge among the APJII community and
      better participation in mailing list discussions. The presenter reviewed
      some of the current policy issues in the APM forum.
      Questions and discussion
      -There was a suggestion of timing NIR policy meetings to occur soon before
      the APNIC meeting so that policy proposals put to the APNIC policy
      development process could be discussed at NIR meetings. This would allow NIR
      members to consider APNIC policy proposals and have their views reported by
      the NIRs.
      
      5.TWNIC RMS Update
      Sheng Wei Kuo, TWMIC
      The presenter gave an overview of the objectives, design, and development of
      the TWMIC Resource Management System.
      
      The presenter provided a detailed overview of the functionality,
      architecture, workflow, and management of the RMS.
      
      The RMS incorporates ticketing and billing tools; resource management for
      IPv4, IPv6, and ASNs; statistical functions; and backup.
      
      The RMS also allows the general public to perform whois searches. It is
      planned that the RMS will completely take over from the new system by the
      end of August 2003.
      
      Finally, the presenter gave a short demonstration of the RMS.
      
      Questions and discussion
      -It was explained that RMS caters for large requests by providing different
      interfaces and an API which allow ISPs to load multiple requests in one go.
      -It was noted the display of IPv4 utilisation is very interesting and will
      also used to display IPv6 utilisation in terms of the HD ratio.
      
      6.Brief report: NIR System Meeting
      Taiji Kimura, JPNIC
      This was a brief review of the NIR System meeting held on 19 August 2003
      with NIR and APNIC technical staff.
      
      The meeting discussed the status of latest protocols such as CRISP/EEP. The
      use LDAP was discussed, as was IRIS using XML. It was noted that CRISP is a
      complex protocol and deployment would take between nine months and one year.
      
      The meeting also discussed JPNIC developments, TWNIC RMS, KRNIC IRMS, and
      developments at APJII and VNNIC. All presentations from the NIR System
      Meeting will be sent to the nir-system at nic dot ad dot jp mailing list.
      
      Questions and discussion
      -The Chair encouraged presentations from the NIR systems meeting to be made
      available on the APNIC web site.
      
      Meeting closed: 5:30 pm
      Minuted by: Gerard Ross
      
      Open action items
      None