[sig-db] Final call for comments: [prop-025-v001] "Proposal for anIPv6 I

  • To: sig-db at apnic dot net
  • Subject: [sig-db] Final call for comments: [prop-025-v001] "Proposal for anIPv6 IRR service at APNIC"
  • From: APNIC Secretariat <secretariat at apnic dot net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:34:08 +1000
  • Cc:
    • Dear colleagues

      APNIC welcomes comments, questions, and suggestions on the following
      policy proposal:

      ____________________

      Final call for comments: [prop-025-v001]
      "Proposal for an IPv6 IRR service at APNIC"
      ____________________

      This is the final call for comments on policy proposal [prop-025-v001]
      "Proposal for an IPv6 IRR service at APNIC".

      This proposal was presented at APNIC 18 and the following consensus was
      reached:

      "to adopt the proposal to establish an IPv6 IRR and begin
      discussions on the database mailing list about the
      framework and implementation of the IPv6 IRR"

      This proposal is now submitted to the sig-policy mailing list for an
      eight week discussion period. At the end of that period, if consensus
      appears to have been achieved, the Chair of the Database SIG will
      ask the Executive Council to endorse the proposal for implementation.

      * Send all comments and questions to: <sig-db at apnic dot net>
      * Deadline for comments: 12 November 2004

      Proposal details

      Introduction:

      We propose that APNIC consider to launch IRR service for IPv6
      in near future.

      IPv6 is based on the same routing architecture as IPv4,
      therefore, possibly the same types of attacks to
      IPv4 routing system will occur in IPv6 such as route hijacking.
      IPv6 IRR will serve as the database for checking the routing information
      if it maintains correct records.

      Now it is the good time that APNIC begins to plan IRR service for IPv6
      before IPv6 networks widely spread in the world.

      Commercial IPv6 networks has just started to be deployed in the world,
      and still not so many people and companies use it.

      IPv6 also implies the same vulnerability as IPv4 from the routing
      point of view because it is based on the same routing model.
      If Internet Routing Registries with correct records are available,
      they serve as the basis for securing the global routing system,
      for example, by checking the correctness of the routing information
      advertised from neighbors.

      Unfortunately there is no Internet Routing Registry for IPv6,
      except 6bone's routing registry which is aimed mainly for IPv6 research.

      Therefore, it is very good time now that:

      (a) we should define a framework of IPv6 IRR
      and IPv6 route verification by using it,
      and make consensus among all the RIRs.
      (b) APNIC should launch IPv6 IRR service.
      (c) we should promote IPv6 IRR to the other RIRs.

      Situation:

      I am not sure, but some rumors say that RIPE is preparing IRR for IPv6.

      Details:

      Our proposal is that

      (a) we should define a framework of IPv6 IRR
      and IPv6 route verification by using it,
      and make consensus among all the RIRs.
      (b) APNIC should launch IPv6 IRR service.
      (c) we should promote IPv6 IRR to the other RIRs.

      Outstanding issues are:

      - Framework for IPv6 IRR, such as
      who administrate the routing registries; RIR, NIR, LIR,...?
      what kind of architecture of the database; like IPv4 IRR or like DNS?
      how to maintain the records in database?
      - Coordination between RIR, NIR, LIR,...
      - Schedule to provide this service

      One possible approach is to establish a new working group
      to discuss these issues.

      Pros/Cons: Advantage:

      - contribution to the stable routing on IPv6 network.
      - earlier RIRs start, easier it is deployed.

      Disadvantage:

      - system cost and operation cost will increase.
      (and this will cause customers should pay more)

      Effect on APNIC:

      APNIC members will have the benefits that they can have yellow-pages
      on IPv6 operators, and that they can reduce the risks with regard to
      attacks to routing system.

      Effect on NIRs:

      After starting discussion about the framework of IPv6 IRR,
      roles of NIRs' IPv6 IRR may be required to change.