[sig-db] Proposal: For an IPv6 IRR service at APNIC

  • To: sig-db at apnic dot net
  • Subject: [sig-db] Proposal: For an IPv6 IRR service at APNIC
  • From: APNIC Secretariat <secretariat at apnic dot net>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:34:13 +1000
  • Cc: toyama.katsuyasu at lab.ntt dot co dot jp, sig-db-chair at apnic dot net

    • Dear colleagues,

      This proposal is posted on behalf of Toyama Katsuyasu for discussion on this mailing list and at the upcoming SIG DB meeting in Fiji. Your feedback and thoughts on this proposal are invited.

      Regards
      APNIC Secretariat <secretariat at apnic dot net>
      Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC) Tel: +61-7-3858-3100
      PO Box 2131 Milton, QLD 4064 Australia Fax: +61-7-3858-3199

      prop-025-v001: Proposal on IPv6 IRR service at APNIC

      Proposed by: TOYAMA, Katsuyasu
      <toyama.katsuyasu at lab.ntt dot co dot jp>
      Version: 1.0
      Date: 4 August 2004

      Introduction:

      We propose that APNIC consider to launch IRR service for IPv6
      in near future.

      IPv6 is based on the same routing architecture as IPv4,
      therefore, possibly the same types of attacks to
      IPv4 routing system will occur in IPv6 such as route hijacking.
      IPv6 IRR will serve as the database for checking the routing information
      if it maintains correct records.

      Now it is the good time that APNIC begins to plan IRR service for IPv6
      before IPv6 networks widely spread in the world.

      Commercial IPv6 networks has just started to be deployed in the world,
      and still not so many people and companies use it.

      IPv6 also implies the same vulnerability as IPv4 from the routing
      point of view because it is based on the same routing model.
      If Internet Routing Registries with correct records are available,
      they serve as the basis for securing the global routing system,
      for example, by checking the correctness of the routing information
      advertised from neighbors.

      Unfortunately there is no Internet Routing Registry for IPv6,
      except 6bone's routing registry which is aimed mainly for IPv6 research.

      Therefore, it is very good time now that:

      (a) we should define a framework of IPv6 IRR
      and IPv6 route verification by using it,
      and make consensus among all the RIRs.
      (b) APNIC should launch IPv6 IRR service.
      (c) we should promote IPv6 IRR to the other RIRs.

      Situation:

      I am not sure, but some rumors say that RIPE is preparing IRR for IPv6.

      Details:

      Our proposal is that

      (a) we should define a framework of IPv6 IRR
      and IPv6 route verification by using it,
      and make consensus among all the RIRs.
      (b) APNIC should launch IPv6 IRR service.
      (c) we should promote IPv6 IRR to the other RIRs.

      Outstanding issues are:

      - Framework for IPv6 IRR, such as
      who administrate the routing registries; RIR, NIR, LIR,...?
      what kind of architecture of the database; like IPv4 IRR or like DNS?
      how to maintain the records in database?
      - Coordination between RIR, NIR, LIR,...
      - Schedule to provide this service

      One possible approach is to establish a new working group
      to discuss these issues.

      Pros/Cons: Advantage:

      - contribution to the stable routing on IPv6 network.
      - earlier RIRs start, easier it is deployed.

      Disadvantage:

      - system cost and operation cost will increase.
      (and this will cause customers should pay more)

      Effect on APNIC:

      APNIC members will have the benefits that they can have yellow-pages
      on IPv6 operators, and that they can reduce the risks with regard to
      attacks to routing system.

      Effect on NIRs:

      After starting discussion about the framework of IPv6 IRR,
      roles of NIRs' IPv6 IRR may be required to change.