Re: [Pakistan] PTCL begins blocking proxy servers: Proscribed sites

  • To: s-asia-it at apnic dot net
  • Subject: Re: [Pakistan] PTCL begins blocking proxy servers: Proscribed sites
  • From: "Gaurab Raj Upadhaya" <gaurab at wlink dot com dot np>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:22:08 +0545
  • Sender: s-asia-it-admin@lists.apnic.net
      My be Irfan can put some more information..!!

      I had the idea, that recently, the Pakistan Government has decided to
      allow independent connections to the Internet without going through the
      PTCL ?? If that's the case, in effect, they can't block the entire
      population off the sites. I even have met companies from Pakistan,
      who said they would put me directly on SEA-WE-MEA cable from four
      cities in Pakistan.

      As for India blocking Dawn.. Unless all the ISPs in india complied to
      some sort of Government directive,  it's practically impossible to block..
      Any one with some idea on this ??

      Gaurab

      On 29 Jul 2003 at 1:56, Irfan Khan wrote:

      > Dawn (28 July 2003)
      >

      > PTCL begins blocking proxy servers: Proscribed sites
      >
      > By Bahzad Alam Khan
      >

      > KARACHI, July 27: The Pakistan Telecommunication Company has started
      > to block those proxy servers which were increasingly being employed
      > by Internet users to access proscribed websites.
      >
      > This was stated by well-placed sources in the telephone utility on
      > Sunday. Internet users in the country turn to proxy servers,
      > thousands of which are available on the worldwide web, to access
      > websites which have been banned and blocked by the government.
      >
      > Internet access to proscribed websites are blocked by the Pakistan
      > Internet Exchange (PIE). In October last year, the PIE placed a ban
      > on Internet telephony or voice chat websites. PIE, which is a PTCL
      > subsidiary, has been blocking sites offering pornographic and other
      > objectionable content since Jan 2003.
      >
      > The sources said that in technical parlance proxy servers employed a
      > technique in which one host, usually a router, answered address
      > resolution protocol requests intended for another machine. "By faking
      > its identity, the router accepts responsibility for routing packets
      > to the real destination. The Proxy ARP allows a site to use a single
      > IP address with two physical networks," they said.
      >
      > They explained that a proxy server was a server that would act as a
      > "middle-man" between a user and whatever else the user connected to.
      > "It is most commonly used as a 'safety net' for your connection.
      > Using a proxy usually hides the true identity of the person using
      > it," they said.
      >
      > The secretary of the Internet Service Providers Association of
      > Pakistan, V.A. Abidi, told Dawn that the blocking of websites by the
      > PTCL had significantly slowed down the Internet speed in the country.
      > He said: "The addresses of those websites which have been banned have
      > to be listed on the PTCL router. Whenever a user makes a request, the
      > system looks up the list to determine whether it contains the request
      > or not. This tedious process naturally takes a lot of time."
      >
      > Analysts say that using a proxy server is a simple process. "All a
      > user needs to do is to find a list of free proxy servers by using an
      > Internet search engine, such as google. Free proxy servers allow
      > users to access all sorts of websites, even those which have been
      > banned by the government in Pakistan."
      >
      > They recall that some time back India had blocked Dawn's website.
      > "Hundreds of thousands of Internet users in India had employed proxy
      > servers to access Dawn's website. Likewise, the government in
      > Pakistan recently blocked a Washington-based website,
      > www.satribune.com, which can also be accessed using a proxy server."

      --  gaurab