RE: [GLOBAL-V6]IPv6 Allocation Policy

  • To: michel at arneill-py.sacramento dot ca dot us
  • Subject: RE: [GLOBAL-V6]IPv6 Allocation Policy
  • From: Izumi Okutani <izumi at nic dot ad dot jp>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:56:56 +0900
  • Cc: gert at space dot net, narten at us dot ibm dot com, global-v6 at lists dot apnic dot net
  • Sender: global-v6-admin@lists.apnic.net

      Thanks for summarising the choices. May I suggest adding "Producing an
      IPv6 guide" as an option to deal with the issues as well?

      I am thinking of a guide similar to APNIC's "APNIC guidelines for IPv4
      allocation and assignment
      requests"(http://www.apnic.net/docs/policy/ipv4-guidelines.html), but
      should be shared among all RIRs for IPv6 version. It is flexible to
      changes than the policy document, supplementing the intent of the
      policy(e.g, elaborating the allocation criteria by giving examples)
      and describing more operational details for specific cases.

      It gives IPv6 requestors a more clear idea on whether their network is
      likely to meet the allocation criteria, what kind of documentation is
      required for the request, etc.

      By this, we can also avoid constantly changing and writing too much
      operational details in the policy document which I believe should
      describe only core principles and basic criteria on IPv6.

      The current major issues about the policy seems to be on:

       1) Policy wording on allocation being a barrier for some qualified
          networks
          - large scale networks that do not make /48 assignments
          - Concerns on the return enforced when 200*/48 is not met after 2
            years
       2) How to deal with specific cases(PI assignments, transit prviders)

      We will certainly need to review the policy itself in a long term, but
      I feel a large part of it can be solved by elaborating the intention
      and giving examples on specific cases in a guide.

      For example, for issue 1), it will probably help reduce mind barriers
      by stating that 200*/48 is just to provice an idea about the scale of
      networks that qualify allocations, and giving examples on special
      cases which do not strictly run under this criteria, e.g, mobile
      networks, ADSL, CATV, etc.

      We can start with producing a guide to solve issue 1), and after the
      solutions to each cases in issue 2) becomes clear, we can add them to
      the guide.

      What do you think about it?

      Izumi

      Izumi Okutani