Re: Countries that allow child porno

  • To: apple <apple at apnic dot net>
  • Subject: Re: Countries that allow child porno
  • From: Declan McCullagh <declan at eff dot org>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:40:31 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-apple@apnic.net
    • Javier,

      You may want to distinguish between owning and distributing child porn.
      The Economist had an article a few months ago about the Swedish monarchy,
      I believe, which is arguing for a ban on *possession* of child porn.
      (Distributing it already is illegal.)

      You might also want to look up an 80-year old child porn treaty to which
      U.S. anti-porn activist Bruce Taylor loves to refer. I mention it in my
      August 1996 _Internet Underground_ cover story.

      That story and other similar global Net.regulation documents are at:
        http://www.eff.org/~declan/global/

      I'd also be interested in which countries criminalize computer-generated
      child porn, as the U.S. now does (as of this month) and the U.K. does.

      By way of introduction, I work in the Washington, DC bureau of HotWired
      and write frequently about global Net-regulation issues.

      -Declan

      On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, shaw wrote:

      > >I am trying to compile (as a study resource) a list of countries that allow
      > >child pornography in their web sites.
      > >
      > >Spain just found out about a hole in its law through which it is not legal
      > >to produce child pornography, but its distribution to grown-ups is not
      > >considered in the penal code.
      > >
      > >Javier SOLA
      > >Executive Director
      > >Spanish Internet Users Association
      >
      > You might try and hook up with the "UN Committee on Rights of the
      > Child" - The contact I have here is pdavid.hchr at unog dot ch. You might
      > also try contacting Nigel Williams, Director, Childnet International,
      > 35 Picadilly, London in the UK who is involved in their work. Childnet
      > International is an NGO that promotes children's interest in international
      > communications. The email address I have (not sure it's valid) is
      > ae447 at dial dot pipex dot com.
      >
      > --robert

      // declan at eff dot org // I do not represent the EFF // declan at well dot com //