Harrods sues to protect name on Internet

  • To: apple at apnic dot net
  • Subject: Harrods sues to protect name on Internet
  • From: kinming°·©ú <morelook at cuhk dot edu dot hk>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:24:10 +0800
  • Sender: owner-apple@apnic.net
    • http://guide-p.infoseek.com//DB?arn=a1670reuff-19960822&dbid=4&sv=PC&lk=noframes&col=NW&pg=article.html

      Since we all operate under the Common Law system, would this British
      lawsuit be a useful precedent?  --kin

      > LONDON (Reuter) - Harrods luxury department store took legal action
      > Thursday to stop people from ``hijacking'' its name on the Internet in
      > a case which was described as a legal first in England.
      >
      > The famed London store sued Michael Lawrie of UK Network Services Ltd.
      > and a number of other companies in a bid to stop the use of the name
      > ``harrods.com'' as an Internet address.
      >
      > Harrods' lawyers Herbert Smith said, ``... So far as we are aware,
      > this is the first English case,'' referring to protection of a name on
      > the Internet.
      >
      > Harrods has already taken action in the United States which led to a
      > suspension of the use of the name. The current injunction seeks to
      > force Lawrie and other parties to release the name for exclusive use
      > by Harrods.
      >
      > A spokesman for the store, which has always acted vigrorously to
      > protect its brand name, said, ``We are taking this action to protect
      > our name and reputation and our customers who might mistakenly believe
      > that Mr. Lawrie and his associates have a legitimate connection with
      > the store, which they have not.''

      Title: Newswire article
      [ PointCast Search by Infoseek | New Search | Big Yellow | Fast Facts | The iZone ]

      [Looking for the best Exclusive Sports Coverage? Click here for SportsLine.]
      Click here now!

      Harrods sues to protect name on Internet

      LONDON (Reuter) - Harrods luxury department store took legal action Thursday to stop people from ``hijacking'' its name on the Internet in a case which was described as a legal first in England.

      The famed London store sued Michael Lawrie of UK Network Services Ltd. and a number of other companies in a bid to stop the use of the name ``harrods.com'' as an Internet address.

      Harrods' lawyers Herbert Smith said, ``... So far as we are aware, this is the first English case,'' referring to protection of a name on the Internet.

      Companies in the United States have previously acted to protect use of their name on the Internet.

      Harrods has already taken action in the United States which led to a suspension of the use of the name. The current injunction seeks to force Lawrie and other parties to release the name for exclusive use by Harrods.

      A spokesman for the store, which has always acted vigrorously to protect its brand name, said, ``We are taking this action to protect our name and reputation and our customers who might mistakenly believe that Mr. Lawrie and his associates have a legitimate connection with the store, which they have not.''

      Copyright 1996 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication and redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

      [Looking for the best Exclusive Sports Coverage? Click here for SportsLine.]
      Click here now!

      Add Site   |   Help   |   Feedback   |   About Infoseek
      Infoseek, Infoseek Guide, Infoseek Personal, iZone, and the Infoseek logo are trademarks of
      Infoseek Corporation. Other trademarks shown are trademarks of their respective owners.
      Copyright © 1995-96 Infoseek Corporation. All rights reserved.
      Disclaimer