[apops] PGP Key Signing BoF @ Apricot 2004, KL

  • To: apops at apops dot net
  • Subject: [apops] PGP Key Signing BoF @ Apricot 2004, KL
  • From: Molly <molly at pikom dot org dot my>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:25:04 +0800
  • Sender: apops-admin@apops.net
      We will be holding a PGP Key Signing Party at the APRICOT 2004 meeting
      in KL.

         When: Tuesday 24 February at 17:30
         Where: Unity 2 (Right after the APTLD Tutorial & before APOPs)

      For more information on PGP, and on PGP Key Signing Parties, see
      http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html>. For more information
      about the APRICOT 2004 PGP Key Signing Party, contact Joe Abley
      <jabley at isc dot org>.

      The procedure we will use in KL is the following:

      1. People who wish to participate should email an ASCII extract of their
      PGP public key to <jabley at isc dot org> by noon on Tuesday 24 February.
      Please include a subject line of "APRICOT PGP KEY", and please avoid
      MIME-encrypting your e-mail.

      The method of generating the ASCII extract under Unix is:

         pgp -kxa my_email_address mykey.asc          (pgp 2.6.2)
         pgpk -xa my_email_address >mykey.asc         (pgp 5.x)
         gpg --export -a my_email_address >mykey.asc  (gpg)

      If you're using Windows or Macintosh, hopefully it will  be Intuitively
      Obvious using the GUI interface how  to generate an ASCII armored key
      that begins:

      2. By 17:30 on Tuesday, you will be able to fetch a complete key ring
      with all of the keys that were submitted from
      <http://www.automagic.org/apricot2004/>.

      3. At 17:30, come prepared with the PGP Key fingerprint  of your PGP
      public key; we will have handouts with all of the key fingerprints of
      the keys that people have mailed in.

      4. In turn, readers at the front of the room will recite people's keys;
      as your key fingerprint is read, stand up, and  at the end of reading of
      your PGP key fingerprint,  acknowledge that the fingerprint as read was
      correct.

      5. While everybody is in the room together, it's a good  chance to
      verify the identities of people whose key  fingerprints you have
      checked, if you don't already know them personally. You might want to
      bring photo id with you  (drivers licence, passport, etc) to make it
      easier for other  people to confirm your identity.

      6. Later that day, or perhaps when you get home, you can sign the keys
      corresponding to the fingerprints which you were able to verify on the
      handout; note that it is advisable that you only sign keys of people
      when you have personal knowledge that the person who stood up during the
      reading of his/her fingerprint really is the person which he/she claimed
      to be.

      7. Submit the keys you have signed to the PGP keyservers. A good one to
      use is the one at MIT: simply send mail containing the ascii armored
      version of your PGP public key to pgp at pgp dot mit dot edu.

      Note that you don't have to have a laptop with you; if you don't have
      any locally trusted computing resources during the key signing party,
      you can make notes on the handout, and then take the handout home and
      sign the keys later.