Re: [apops] rfc-ignorant.org

  • To: Peter Evans <peter at gol dot ad dot jp>
  • Subject: Re: [apops] rfc-ignorant.org
  • From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell at ripe dot net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:51:07 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: <apops at lists dot apnic dot net>
  • Sender: owner-apops@lists.apnic.net
    • On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Peter Evans wrote:

      > 	about rfc-ignorant.org ...
      >
      > George Michaelson (ggm at apnic dot net) wrote:
      > > What do people think? Arguably, we should wear the spam. Obviously I prefer
      > > not. And yes, for the level of activity the whois trollers on the edge
      > > represent when attempting to complain about real abuse, I do regard them as
      > > spammers. they share many traits:
      >
      > 	I think we should treat them with the respect they deserve.
      >
      > 	A role address for a /7 which is delegated all over the Asia/Pacific
      > 	has only one merit. It's an easy target for the point&drool crowd. It
      > 	could quite safely be pointed at /dev/null. Although you would
      > 	probably need an extra large one or it would fill up with idiotmail from
      > 	J-random-antispamware.

      The problem with that is that the clue-less misguided whingers then
      receive no reply.  After waiting a (surprisingly) reasonable period, some
      of them then try to get a reply, meaning, they scrape off every contact
      address listing on the APNIC web site and shotgun each address.

      APNIC does (or should, moot point as no address is listed for the
      "point&drool" crowd) still have a variety of auto-responders designed to
      give the spam-complainer a few hints about where they have been misguided,
      and where to get further information.

      The above-mentioned scraping and wide-spread mailing still happens, but
      not as much the /dev/null approach.

                      ( Formerly Senior Systems )                             NCC
                      (   Administrator - APNIC )                      Operations