Re: [Oz-ISP] rfc-ignorant.org?!?!? (also [apops] )

  • To: <aussie-isp at aussie dot net>
  • Subject: Re: [Oz-ISP] rfc-ignorant.org?!?!? (also [apops] )
  • From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell at ripe dot net>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:39:11 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: <apops at lists dot apnic dot net>
  • Sender: owner-apops@lists.apnic.net
    • On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Adrian Chadd wrote:

      > On Fri, Oct 19, 2001, Dale Clapperton wrote:
      >
      > > Bouncing email on the basis of allegedly "wrong" whois is pretty hard to
      > > justify, especially when the operaters of the list go around blacklisting
      > > realy large chunks like a /7
      >
      > Hey, its not the rfc-ignorant people who are bouncing the email,
      > so blame the admins here.

      Actually, it is the rfc-ignorant people who are in error by making a
      listing.  I have sent a 'friendly' reminder (cc'd to their discussion
      list) about the existence of the Regional Internet Registry system which
      will hopefully prevent a repeat being tried on the RIPE NCC ranges as
      well.

      FYI, all of APNIC's IP ranges appear to be listed, ie:

      	61/8, 202/7, 210/7, 218/8

      > Well, its "just" an email address. Its in an RFC. Is there any other
      > RFC that supersedes RFC954 in these matters? And is there a good reason
      > as to why APNIC haven't supplied an email address for their record?

      The reason why APNIC removed (in Mayish 2001) the email address contained
      in the 'courtesy' records in the ARIN database was due to:

      	Excessive amounts of spam (mainly from North America)
      	Excessive numbers of misdirected spam complaints (mainly North
      		Americans)
      	Excessive numbers of misguided and rude North Americans generally
      		refusing to accept that there is a world outside North
      		America.
      	Staff resources being wasted by dealing with the third item.

      The NCC (my new employers) gets a similar number of (1), (2) and (3) and
      occasionally (4), although (1,2,3) is in a wider variety of languages and
      origin countries.

                      ( Formerly Senior Systems )                             NCC
                      (   Administrator - APNIC )                      Operations