Re: [apops] Exchange Points in India

  • To: pfs at cisco dot com (Philip Smith)
  • Subject: Re: [apops] Exchange Points in India
  • From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:28:41 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: lists at lists dot grot dot org, apops at lists dot apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@lists.apnic.net
    •  The laws have changed. MPNL & VSNL, while still very powerful, are no
       longer legal monopolies. For example, Hughes is operating as a local
       exchange carrier.  And there is at least one landing station permit
       that has been issued that does not include VSNL as a signing party.

       That said, the laws may change again... :) India is almost as mecurial
       as the USA.

      %
      % Unless the law has changed very recently, public exchange points are
      % illegal in India. VSNL officially provides the "exchange" capability
      % between ISPs. There are a few private efforts I know of, but afaik they are
      % kept informal due to the legal position.
      %
      % (If all has changed, I'd be delighted to know, and hear about it, ofcourse...)
      %
      % philip
      % --
      %