RE: [apops] AP Routing

  • To: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at internet dot org dot ph>, <apops at apnic dot net>
  • Subject: RE: [apops] AP Routing
  • From: "Barry Raveendran Greene" <bgreene at cisco dot com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:58:47 -0800
  • Sender: owner-apops@lists.apnic.net
    • Hello Miguel,

      The Telcos are using a bilateral peering technique that I called "AP Mesh."
      The peering agreement is derived from the way Telcos peer for international
      voice traffic. Each side pays for 1/2 the circuit with an QOS level set that
      triggers an automatic upgrade. So if the QOS level is set to be 70% average
      utilization during the top 4 peek hours of the day, then the circuit would
      be upgraded on both sides as soon as this level is reached.

      This allowed the two parties to start with 128Kbps between each other and
      then work up to the real speed needed to support peering traffic between
      them.

      There are some slides in this in an old trans-oceanic backbone presentation
      at:

      http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/isp/documents/Trans-OceanicInternetBackbone
      sv1.zip

      As you mentioned, it is a peering technique that has worked in Asia. It is
      not restricted to Telcos, ISP can do it. It is just that the techniques
      spread like wild fire in '96-'97 - mainly because the peering technique was
      familiar (being similar to what is done on voice with out the settlement).

      Barry