[apops] Yet another way to look

  • To: <operation-lists at isi dot edu>
  • Subject: [apops] Yet another way to look
  • From: bmanning at isi dot edu
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 05:16:25 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: bmanning at isi dot edu
  • Posted-date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 05:16:25 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • (sorry about duplicates)

      For your viewing pleasure I've taken the 7-Sep-98 ASN delegation file
      from the ARIN ftp site and stuffed it into the RDI.INT zone.  Won't
      give you the prefixes associated with the ASN, but it does get you
      another way to look up the contact for a given ASN.

      (there are some formating problems will will be fixed later)

      If the contact for any given ASN would like to re-map that entry to
      their own servers so they can indicate which prefixes they are willing
      to announce (sort of like the 4555.rdi.int example) they can. And NO,
      you don;t have to do all that RPSL stuff if you don't want to.

      The only way to check authoritative announcements is if the prefix delegates
      add an entry into the in-addr.arpa zones that they maintain to indicate
      which ASN is expected to be the authoritative announcer for said prefix.

      If there is interest, I'll keep the zone current with regular updates
      from ARIN. I don't know if the other RIRs (RIPE, APNIC) update ARIN
      on a regular basis. If not I can add the information from those registries
      as well.  Comments are appreciated.

      If you think this is pointless, (and have not already told me so :) I'd
      appreciate those comments as well.

      like so:

      7% dig 4.rdi.int txt

      ; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> 4.rdi.int txt
      ; (1 server found)
      ;; got answer:
      ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
      ;; QUERY SECTION:
      ;;      4.rdi.int, type = TXT, class = IN

      ;; ANSWER SECTION:
      4.rdi.int.              1d12h IN TXT    "ISI-AS;[JKR1-ARIN]"

      --bill