Re: The Cidr Report

  • To: nanog at merit dot edu, eof-list at ripe dot net, apops at apnic dot net, routing-wg at ripe dot net, Pekka.Haara at hpy dot fi
  • Subject: Re: The Cidr Report
  • From: Tony Bates <tbates at cisco dot com>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 22:21:06 -0800
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Actually, from where I'm sitting AS719 still looks to be in bad
      shape. However, as you say they are just one of many. I encourage
      everyone to take a quick look through

      http://www.employees.org:80/~tbates/cidr-report.html#Aggs

      You may just see something youy can clean up.

      		--Tony

       Vince Fuller <xxvaf at valinor dot barrnet dot net> writes:
        * > As you can see things are startng to move up recently. I'd suggest
        * > folks take a look at the "Interesting Aggregates" section on the web
        * > page as it appears there's been a large influx of routes
        * > here. Particularly AS719 who look like they may have a config error
        * > with many many /28s showing up. They aren't the only ones as there
        * > seems to be a lot of potential savings to be made here just by
        * > eye-balling the aggregates.
        *
        * It looks like AS 719 may have cleaned-up their act, but there is still a lo
        * t
        * of garbage in that section of the report. Most of them seem to be subnets o
        * f
        * /16's that all have the same AS path and therefore have no reason to not be
        * aggregated. 168.108.x.y, 166.102.x.y, 152.166.x.y-152.172.x.y, 129.81.x.y,
        * and 139.175.x.y are the most obvious offenders - all of the components of e
        * ach
        * are singly-homed to a single AS path (yes, AS 1 has a couple of small ones
        * not listed above - I'll see about chasing those down). Others, like
        * 161.11.x.y, 138.87.x.y, 137.15.x.y, 137.98.x.y, and 143.233.x.y appear to
        * be multi-homed but still shouldn't need to be propagated to the global
        * Internet.
        *
        * If you're going to accept CIDR block subcomponents from your customers for
        * load-balancing or other purposes, please set community "no-advertise" or
        * otherwise prevent them from leaking out to the rest of the net - everyone
        * else doesn't need to see your trash...
        *
        * 	--Vince
        *
        * (note: from address modified to discourage spam)