RE: APOPS BOF

  • To: Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene at cisco dot com>
  • Subject: RE: APOPS BOF
  • From: "miguel a.l. paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:11:29 +0800 (HKT)
  • Cc: "apops at apnic dot net" <apops at apnic dot net>
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:

      > Yes, its time for a draft agenda. Here's the first cut. Please jump in with
      > other discussion items. We do not have time to do everything, so please send
      > a note with the top three items you are most interested discussing.

      I agree that these are all interesting topics.

      > 1. Routing of unassigned prefixes. Some ISPs have been found to advertise
      > prefixes that have not been allocates to them or anyone else.
      >
      > 2. State of Aggregation. Review all the AS numbers allocated by APNIC and
      > give a report on the aggregation advertised to the Internet.

      While these are important topics, they may be a bit too esoteric for some.
      (And, because of the way we do routing, our aggregation isn't too nice :))

      > 3. Ingress/Egress Filtering - Protecting yourself and the Internet.

      Important.  We are seeing a rise in DoS attacks as well.

      > 4. Internet eXchange Point (IXP) Update. Brief status of the various IXPs in
      > the region. Future Development.

      Since the IX conference session will cover the overview, perhaps we could
      tackle the technical aspects in APOPS?

      Any word on the Digital Kuala Lumpur IX?

      > 5. Regional By-lateral peering. Peering options for ISP to interconnect with
      > each other.

      Perhaps we should start with ISPs within the same country first.
      As for regional peering, payment in regional currency instead of US$ - oh
      but then the cable facilities are US$ investments.

      > 6. Bandwidth sharing. How competitor ISPs can band together to share a bigger
      > pipe across the Pacific cheaper than if each got the equivalent on their own.

      Or, "how to set up an ISP consortium."

      > 7. Asian Cache Peering. Ways ISPs can form Cache Peering in Asia to save
      > bandwidth.

      Dependent on #5.  However, Cache Peering is still an art that needs some
      adjustment - with regards to ICP vs. HTTP refresh issues.

      > 8. Saving Bandwidth. With the currency crisis, trans-oceanic bandwidth cost
      > have increased. How can ISPs save on bandwidth?

      Caching nicely :)

      --
      miguel a.l. paraz	iphil communications, makati city, ph	+63-2-750-2288