FW: CALL FOR PAPERS - INET'98 (fwd)

  • Subject: FW: CALL FOR PAPERS - INET'98 (fwd)
  • From: Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene at cisco dot com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:44:39 +0800
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net

      Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:04:04 +0200 (MET DST)
      From: Paul Rendek <paul at terena dot nl>
      To: terena-ga at terena dot nl, wg-all at terena dot nl, newsletters at terena dot nl,
          ceec at terena dot nl, ccirn at lbl dot gov, apng-all at apng dot org, conf98-info at terena dot nl,
          press at terena dot nl, lhl at cs dot wisc dot edu
      Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS - INET'98

      CALL FOR PAPERS - INET'98

      Papers, Panels, Tutorials & Poster Sessions

      Deadline:  24 October 1997

      INET'98

      THE INTERNET:  ENTERING THE MAINSTREAM

      Internet Society's 8th Annual Networking Conference

      21-24 July 1998
      Palexpo Conference Center
      Geneva, Switzerland

      http://www.isoc.org

      INET, the annual meeting of the Internet Society, is the premier
      international event for Internet and internetworking professionals.
      It is the crossroads at which the world's cyberspace pioneers meet
      to exchange experiences and plan their next steps. Each year, network
      technologists, industry and government representatives, and policy
      experts meet to share information and shape the future of the Internet
      and its related internetworking technologies.

      In 1998, INET will address both the traditional and evolving frontiers
      of the Internet as well as its significant impact on education, commerce,
      and societies throughout the world. Multiple conference tracks will
      address critical issues ranging from network engineering to user needs,
      from regulatory issues to the Internet's role as a conduit for social
      change, and from the transformation of education to the redefinition
      of commerce.

      The INET'98 Program Committee solicits abstracts of papers and
      suggestions for panels, tutorials and poster sessions which describe
      innovative developments, encourage vigorous discussion and further
      the understanding of the Internet's frontiers.

      CONFERENCE

           INET'98:  21-24 July 1998

           Exhibition Hall Open:  22-24 July 1998

      PRE-CONFERENCE EVENTS

           Network Training Workshop:  12-19 July 1998

                      (France, Latin America and Switzerland)

           Technical Tutorials:  20-21 July 1998

           K-12 (Primary & Secondary) Workshop:  21 July 1998

           African Networking Symposium:  21 July 1998

      KEY SUBMISSION DATES

      Deadline to submit Abstract, Tutorial, Panel and Poster Session
      proposals for Program Committee review.

      Authors notified of accepted Abstracts and invited to submit full Papers.
      Presenters notified of accepted Tutorials, Panels and Poster Sessions.

      Deadline to submit full Papers for Program Committee review.

      Authors notified of accepted Papers.

      Deadline to submit final copy of Paper for inclusion in the INET'98
      Proceedings.

      20-21 July 1998

      Technical Tutorials

      21-24 July 1998

      INET'98 Conference

      TRACK DESCRIPTIONS

      TRACK 1: New Applications

      The exponential growth of the Internet involves not only computers, domain
      names, addresses and packets, but also content and people. The Applications
      Technologies track focuses on innovation that taps this growing wealth of
      information and people, including mechanisms for finding and accessing
      information and collaborative environments. In addition, this track covers
      technologies just below the user interface that are equally important:
      caching and prefetch technologies to improve access to information, and
      security technologies to support interactions such as contract signing and
      Internet commerce.

      TRACK 2:  Social, Legal, Governance, and Regulatory Policies

      As the Internet keeps evolving and covering new territory, new forms of
      communication emerge and new social groupings appear.  Sometimes these
      changes reinforce the old, sometimes weaken it or even threaten it. Weaving
      new human communities is a tricky business. Cultures, legal systems and
      institutions must find new compromises and mesh in new ways.  What are the
      possible long-run governance structures for the Internet, and what are the
      implications of adopting them?

      TRACK 3: Commerce

      The promises of commerce on the Internet have come nearly as fast as new
      commercial sites. Yet many organizations are struggling to come to grips
      with the realities of the Internet for their business. What are these
      realities? Share the experience of successful projects, see how traditional
      forms of electronic commerce are adapting to the Internet and listen to
      experts argue the benefits and pitfalls of commerce on the Net.

      TRACK 4: Teaching and Learning

      The Internet evolved from computer science research projects to connect
      disparate and decentralized computer systems.  Is this the same technology
      that is the hottest thing to  happen in education in years?  Once the
      private laboratory of university and post-secondary education, the Internet
      is now firmly entrenched in primary and secondary schools around the world.
      This track will look at what is happening on the Net today in support of
      primary, secondary and post-secondary education. Papers will cover current
      research in educational technology, case studies from the classroom,
      examples of collaborative learning and thought-provoking discussions on
      what effect the Internet will have on how we teach and learn.

      TRACK 5:  Globalisation and Regional Implications

      Every day, the Internet is expanding to new parts of the world, to new
      groups of population, and to new, sometimes unanticipated, areas of usage.
      How far has the Internet gone on the road to true globalisation? What
      obstacles remain to its expansion in developing countries and to less
      advanced regions of the globe? What challenges should be expected in the
      future by those who, like ISOC, want to "take the Internet where it has
      never been before"? This track will address these questions, looking at the
      political, legal, cultural and economic aspects of the issues raised, while
      giving a central importance to the respective experiences of users and
      promoters of the Internet in all regions of the world.

      TRACK 6:  Network Technology and Engineering

      The physical and administrative infrastructures of the Internet are being
      subjected to many stresses created by the explosion in the number of users
      and the demands of many new and exciting applications being developed. New
      support technologies are required in many areas to counter these stresses.
      This track will present a range of developments designed to make the
      network more reliable, more predictable, more scaleable and more manageable
      in the immediate future.

      TRACK 7: User-Centered Issues

      Frontiers don't exist just at the cutting edge of technology or in the
      remote regions of the world. Today, nearly everyone is an Internet user and
      many are responding to the challenge in unique and valuable ways to put
      this new tool to use. This track will examine contributions from a range of
      users, what they are doing and the impact the Internet has had on their
      daily lives.

      SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES

      Register your interest in contributing to the INET'98 program by
      subscribing to the INET'98 Authors and Presenters Contact List.  Send the
      command "SUBSCRIBE INET98-PRESENTERS" in a one-line email message to:
      <<listserv at listserv dot isoc dot org>.   You will receive an immediate
      acknowledgment of your subscription and periodic updates from the INET'98
      Program Committee.

      I.  PAPERS AND PANEL SUBMISSIONS

      To view a sample Abstract, visit the Web-site
      <<www.isoc.org/inet98/presenters>.

      ~ An Abstract should provide the following:

      a.  Motivate/define the problem addressed (1-2 sentences)
      b.  Outline the results obtained or expected (1-2 sentences)
      c.  Explain why the work/results are significant (1-2 sentences)
      d.  Describe the work sufficiently for the Program Committee reviewer to
          have confidence that it was done well and that the result will be of
          interest to conference attendees (half to one page)

      The official language of the conference is English.  All abstracts must
      be submitted in English.

      Abstracts of papers and proposals for panels should be submitted in
      plain ASCII by 24 October 1997 to:  inet-abstracts at isoc dot org.
      (No attachments will be reviewed by the Program Committee).

      The following must be at the beginning of every abstract or proposal:

      a)  A title (paper) or topic (panel).
      b)  First and surname/family name(s) of all authors/presenters.
          Note: Please CAPITALIZE each surname/family name.
      c)  Organisational affiliation(s).
      d)  Full mailing address(es), telephone and fax number(s) for each
          author/presenter.
      e)  E-mail address(es) for each author/presenter.  Note: All correspondence
          is via e-mail.  It is imperative that e-mail addresses are viable and that
          ISOC be informed of any changes to e-mail addresses.
      f)  Identify a single point of contact if more than one author is listed.

      Each abstract or proposal should be between one and two pages long
      (approximately 250 words) and contain a list of key words or topics. An
      abstract should be a brief summary of a paper and should not be divided
      into subsections or include tables, footnotes, or reference lists.
      Submissions will be acknowledged within 72 hours.  If acknowledgment is not
      received within this timeframe, contact ISOC immediately at
      inet-program-chair at isoc dot org.

      The Exhibition Hall will provide the exclusive medium for product
      advertising.  Papers should be directed at substantive issues and not focus
      upon marketing or sales issues.

      Each panel proposal should indicate and justify the theme of the
      proposed session and include the names (with full presenter information) of
      suggested panelists.

      Accepted abstract submissions will be invited to contribute full papers.
      Final selection will be based on full papers.

      II.  TECHNICAL TUTORIAL SUBMISSIONS

      The Internet Society is pleased to invite submissions for Technical
      Tutorials, which precede the INET'98 Conference, 20-21 July 1998.

      Tutorials are three hours (1/2 day) or six hours (full-day) in length.

      All tutorials must be presented in English.

      Tutorial proposals should be submitted in plain ASCII by 24 October 1997
      to:  inet-abstracts at isoc dot org.

      ~ Each tutorial proposal must contain the following information:

      a)  A topic or tutorial title.
      b)  A 100-word description of the proposed tutorial, including three (3)
          learning objectives, three (3) learning outcomes, and a brief lesson plan.
      c)  An indication that it is a tutorial proposal and the proposed length of
          the tutorial (1/2 day or full-day).
      d)  Presentation titles, locations, and dates of previous
          seminars/tutorials/presentations the presenter/s have made on topics
          related to the proposed tutorial.
      e)  First and surname/family name(s) of all presenters.  Note: Please
          CAPITALIZE each surname/family name.
      f)  Organisational affiliation(s).
      g)  Full mailing address(es), telephone and fax number(s) of all presenters.
      h)  E-mail address(es).  Note: All correspondence is via e-mail.  It is
          imperative that e-mail addresses are viable and that ISOC be informed of
          any changes to e-mail addresses.
      i)  Identify a single point of contact if more than one presenter is listed.

      Each tutorial proposal should be no more than two pages in length.
      Submissions will be acknowledged within 72 hours.  If acknowledgment is not
      received within this timeframe, contact ISOC immediately at
      inet-program-chair at isoc dot org.

      The Exhibition Hall will provide the exclusive medium for product
      advertising.  Tutorials should be directed at substantive issues and not
      focus upon marketing or sales issues.

      III.  POSTER SESSIONS SUBMISSIONS

      The Internet Society is pleased to invite submissions for Poster Sessions,
      which will be held during the INET'98 Conference, 22-24 July 1998.

      Posters will be on display throughout the conference, with a number of
      speaker opportunities for the poster session presenter.

      Proposals should be submitted in plain ASCII by 24 October 1997 to:
      inet-abstracts at isoc dot org.

      Each poster session proposal must contain the following information:
      a)  A topic or poster session title.
      b)  A 50-word description of the proposed session, including two (2)
          learning objectives.
      c)  An indication that it is a poster session proposal.
      d)  First and surname/family name(s).  Note: Please CAPITALIZE each
          surname/family name..
      e)  Organisational affiliation.
      f)  Full mailing address, telephone and fax number.
      g)  E-mail address.  Note: All correspondence is via e-mail.  It is
          imperative that e-mail addresses are viable and that ISOC be informed
          of any changes to e-mail addresses.

      Submissions will be acknowledged within 72 hours.  If acknowledgment is
      not received within this timeframe, contact ISOC immediately at
      inet-program-chair at isoc dot org.

      The Exhibition Hall will provide the exclusive medium for product
      advertising.  Poster Sessions should be directed at substantive issues and
      not focus upon marketing or sales issues.

      REGISTRATION FEES ~~~~~~~~~~

      Chosen presenters of papers, panels and poster sessions will be admitted
      into INET'98 at the ISOC member/early conference fee, although a limited
      amount of partial support may be available to assist presenters, generally
      from developing countries.  Tutorials instructors will receive a stipend.

      Expenses such as travel, hotel, and meals are borne by presenters.

      GENERAL INFORMATION

      INET'98

      The Internet Society
      12020 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 210
      Reston, VA  20191-3429  USA

      Telephone:      +1 703 648 9888
      Fax:            +1 703 648 9887
      Email:          inet98 at isoc dot org

      PROGRAM INFORMATION

      Email:          inet-program-chair at isoc dot org

      We would appreciate if you would forward this announcement to your
      interested colleagues and within your own networks.

      Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this
      message.

      The Internet Society
      12020 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 210     Reston, Virgina  20191-3429 USA
      voice 703.648.9888      fax 703.648.9887
      http://www.isoc.org