Re: BGP question.

  • To: "'Jumpot Phuritatkul'" <howdy at nectec dot or dot th>
  • Subject: Re: BGP question.
  • From: Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene at cisco dot com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 18:33:22 +0800
  • Cc: "'apops at apnic dot net'" <apops at apnic dot net>
  • Encoding: 200 TEXT
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Hello Jumpot,

      Here's the policy routing option. I need a little time to check a config
      with my colleagues.

      Here's a example config for Router B (RTB). I'm guessing on your config, so
      I picking thing out of the air. Instead of IP addresses, I'm using '[Router
      A]' to describe the link. delete the '[Router A]' and fill in with the real
      IP addresses.

      !
      interface serial 0/0
      description LINK TO ROUTER A (Upstream)
      ip address [Router A]
      ip policy route-map Upstream_Policy
      !
      interface serial 0/1
      description LINK TO ROUTER C (Down Stream Customer)
      ip address [Router C]
      !
      interface serial 0/2
      description LINK TO ROUTER D (National IXP)
      ip address [Router D]
      !
      interface ethernet 1/0
      description LINK TO LOCAL LAN
      !
      access-list 1 permit any [C's CIDR block]
      !
      route-map Upstream_Policy permit 10
       match ip address 1
       set ip next-hop [Router C]
      !
      !

      This policy routing example will take all the packets from A that match an
      address in C's CIDR block and forward them out C's interface. All other
      traffic will use the forward table. Hence, you can set the BGP local
      preference for C's CIDR block to use D.

      So this give you:

       	1) A to go to C via path (1) A-B-C (Achieved with policy routing)

      	2) B to go to C via path (2) B-D-C (Achieved with BGP local pref)

      Barry

      Jumpot Phuritatkul wrote:

      >Thanks for your advice.
      >
      >I have a 7507 for B and 7513/VIP for C. at B, I have many networks that
      >connected with many slots and I want them to use path 2)B-D-C except
      >2 serial interface to two of my upstreams use path 1)A-B-C .
      >
      >Can you give me another solution by use BGP setting command?
      >
      >Jumpot-
      >
      >On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:
      >
      >> Hello Jumpot,
      >>
      >> This one is a little difficult. Your objective is the following:
      >>
      >> 	1) A to go to C via path (1) A-B-C
      >> 	2) B to go to C via path (2) B-D-C
      >>
      >> Here's the problem. You have one forward table (i.e. sh ip route on a
      Cisco
      >> router). This will hold the route selected from the routing protocols.
      You
      >> can manipulate the route selection process (i.e. like using the local
      >> preference in BGP), but you will still only get the "best" entry in the
      >> forward table selected for use. When you have two "equal" cost entries
      in
      >> the forward table, Cisco "round robins" packets evenly over the two
      equal
      >> entries (this does not mean load balance since packets are not of equal
      >> size).
      >>
      >> So all packets coming into a router will use the forward table to
      determine
      >> which interface to "forward" the packets.
      >>
      >> Now for the possible "hack" that may work (not guaranteed) if you have a
      >> 7500 w/VIP cards. With Cisco's VIP architecture and distributed
      switching,
      >> forward tables are pushed out to the VIP processors. If you place the
      >> serial connection for "A" and "C" on the same VIP card. Put "B" on
      another
      >> VIP card with the LAN interfaces from B's site on that same VIP card the
      >> serial link from "D" (preferable on a different bus). Packets coming in
      >> from A will prefer the interface on the same VIP card - C. Packet from
      B's
      >> LAN interfaces will prefer the D interface.
      >>
      >> I'm not sure that will work as described. Plus, this only takes care of
      >> traffic flows coming from A (downstream). For Internet traffic in Asia,
      >> that's 60%-80% for the traffic.
      >>
      >> If you have a 7500 w/VIP card and you wish to pursue this hack, let me
      >> know.
      >>
      >> Barry
      >>

      >> Jumpot Phuritatkul wrote:
      >>
      >> >But from my intention, B will announce C and D networks by originating
      >> >from B because I don't want A to see AS C and D. So  that A will see C
      >> >and D networks by only AS-path B .
      D-C)