Re: router CPU usage?

  • To: William Wong <wwong at hkt dot net>
  • Subject: Re: router CPU usage?
  • From: Che-Hoo Cheng <chcheng at cuhk dot edu dot hk>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 16:04:34 +0800
  • Cc: apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • William Wong wrote:

      > On Fri, 9 May 1997, Paul Ferguson wrote:
      >
      > Hi Paul,
      >
      > > At 05:58 PM 05/09/97 +0800, William Wong wrote:
      > >
      > > >Normal CPU usage is not too hard but when there is a route flap or a BGP
      > > >reset, it can go up as high as 99% on our 7000 for a while but on the
      > > >75xx, the high CPU usage won't substain as long.
      > > >

      > > William, are you using bgp route-flap dampening?
      >
      > Yes.  We have enabled route-flap dampen on all BGP speakers now.
      >
      > Some more info, the 7000 in concern has 18 (11 EBGP & 7 IBGP) BGP sessions
      > running.  We have noticed slow down after migrating to 11.x but the added
      > functionality (route-flap dampening) worthed the upgrade.  We are
      > considering adding RSP7000, any comment.

      But the price difference between an RSP7000 and a 7507 chassis is
      small.  So, I would prefer to buy a 7507 chassis instead.

      Sorry for the off-topic response.  :)

      --

      Che-Hoo Cheng                       | Email: chcheng at cuhk dot edu dot hk
      Data Comms and Networking Section   | URL:   http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/