Re: Designing an IX with non-PI space peers

  • To: davidc at apnic dot net (David R. Conrad)
  • Subject: Re: Designing an IX with non-PI space peers
  • From: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 22:53:15 +0800 (HKT)
  • Cc: apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Hi,

      David R. Conrad wrote:
      > >1. Can ISP X get an ASN?  Assume they will always be routed to the rest of
      > >   the net via MCI.
      >
      > Hmm.  Even if the MCI link goes down?

      Of course not. :)  What I refer to here are ISPs that for better or
      worse have decided to stick it out with provider space.

      > In any event, the official policy on allocation of ASes is documented in
      > RFC 1930 -- executive summary: if you are multi-homed to different ASes,
      > you can get an AS.

      Of course, this parallels your funding-wg statement that they would pay
      $500 for it, as a non-member, unless we at IPhil give them one or
      "resell". :)

      > >Why should they get an ASN just for inter-Philippines peering?
      >
      > In such cases, the private ASNs could probably be used, but it is
      > "unusual" for such situations to occur...

      Well I hope to be an IX pioneer then. :)

      > >2. If ISP X does get an ASN, I should take care not to leak it out to
      > >   my upstream, right?
      >
      > Depends on how you want your routing to go...

      Of course it would be in my best interest not to advertise the competitor
      to the rest of the net.

      > >If they do not, and we peer using a private ASN,
      > >   I should do the same?
      >
      > Not sure I understand -- private ANS should (of course) not be
      > propagated, but I don't think that's what you were asking...

      That was what I was asking; in any case I believe these private
      ASNs will be filtered out by the big providers, no?

      --
      miguel a.l. paraz  <map at iphil dot net>                              +63-2-893-0850
      iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>