RE: Designing an IX with non-PI space peers

  • To: "'David R. Conrad'" <davidc at apnic dot net>
  • Subject: RE: Designing an IX with non-PI space peers
  • From: Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene at cisco dot com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 07:44:04 +0800
  • Cc: "'Miguel A.L. Paraz'" <map at iphil dot net>, "'apops at apnic dot net'" <apops at apnic dot net>
  • Encoding: 31 TEXT
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Hello All,

      > From:    David R. Conrad [SMTP:davidc at apnic dot net]
      >
      > One additional point -- as I'm sure you all know by now, some
      > providers filter out long prefixes, thus in the scenario Barry
      > describes above, the more specific /22 advertised by ISP B at the IXP
      > can get filtered, thus you can end up with sub-optimal routing.

      True, but we've yet to see this at a domestic IX in Asia Pacific. If it is
      done, then the ISP doing the filtering could be persuaded to punch a hole
      in the filter for the sake of domestic connectivity.

      > This
      > is the part of the reason for the clause in RFC 2050 regarding
      > multi-homing being a justification for address allocations...

      As ASNs. If you have IPv4 space from your upstream provider and wish to
      have an ASN for a domestic connecting at a domestic IXP, you can get the
      ASN from APNIC or from your upstream provider.

      Barry
      Barry Raveendran Greene             |       ||        ||        |
      Senior Consultant                   |       ||        ||        |
      Consulting Engineering              |      ||||      ||||       |
      tel: +65 738-5535 ext 235           |  ..:||||||:..:||||||:..   |
      e-mail: bgreene at cisco dot com           |  c i s c o S y s t e m s  |