National NICs

  • To: bgreene at cisco dot com (Barry Raveendran Greene)
  • Subject: National NICs
  • From: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 01:01:07 +3200 (HKT)
  • Cc: apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:
      > There as been talk in the past about national
      > NICs, continental aggregation, and other ideas.

      Thanks for bringing that up... we are having a meeting here this Saturday
      to jumpstart the formation of the PH-NIC.  We want to tackle the issue
      of IP space, though the "D" word is really a much more controversial topic. :)

      What are the requirements such that a NIC can get a /16 that will subdivide
      this into 8 /19s for its members?  We currently have 203.176/19;
      can we get 203.176/16 for the PH-NIC, since it is apparently not yet
      allocated?

      If this is not possible, and assuming that the entire NIC gets a /19 to
      start with, won't we have a problem with routability (of course the APNIC
      disclaimer that assigned networks have no routability guarantees applies).

      miguel a.l. paraz  <map at iphil dot net>                              +63-2-893-0850
      iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>