Re: out of the black bags of wizards...

  • To: davidc at apnic dot net (David R Conrad)
  • Subject: Re: out of the black bags of wizards...
  • From: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 01:34:39 +0800 (HKT)
  • Cc: apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Hi,

      David R Conrad wrote:

      > For those who don't know, Van was the guy who came up with
      > traceroute, vat, and TCP slow-start...

      > For the past 6 years, I've been working on a tool to figure out
      > more about an Internet path that just what routers you go through.
      > I've developed a tool called `pathchar' (for `path characteristics')
      > that tells you the bandwidth, distance from previous hop, average
      > queue, and drop rate for every hop on the path (*not* just the
      > bottleneck hop).  This is a typical output:

      Looks like real magic... how does he figure out bandwidth of the
      links in between?  Now no one can inflate their bandwidth claims. :)

      --
      miguel a.l. paraz  <map at iphil dot net>                              +63-2-893-0850
      iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>