Re: Routing policy in ASN database?

  • To: bgreene at cisco dot com (Barry Raveendran Greene)
  • Subject: Re: Routing policy in ASN database?
  • From: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 11:16:21 +0800 (HKT)
  • Cc: apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Hi,

      Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:
      > In that case you may wish to do what you already highlighted in another
      > message - get a /24 from MCI for you proxy/cache. Put the cache behind a
      > router that points default up the MCI link. MCI will point default back to
      > your /24.

      This I'm already very familiar with - I've twisted our proxy caches
      in so many ways to maximize our bandwidth.  But it's time to move on.  :)

      > Q. What routers do you have for the Sprint and MCI connections?

      Low tech.  For Ciscos, we only have 2520 and 2501s to play with.
      I think that will suffice since we won't be getting any routes from
      Sprint or MCI anyway.  I will just default through the T1, or the
      256K if the T1 fails.  There is no need to balance outbound traffic since
      that it is a small fraction of inbound.

      Right now we have MCI 256K and 128K, and Sprint 64K, but all the outbound
      traffic easily fits in the 256K, as it averages around 80-128Kb/s.
      It looks like the outgoing http traffic is limited not by the outbound
      bandwidth but rather by the incoming requests which are congested.
      Needless to say the incoming rates on all these links have hit the peak.

      > For redundancy, you will need to advertise your IP blocks out both links.
      > You have some control over how much traffic comes over either link by
      > prepending additional AS paths to your advertisement. Here is an example:

      Thanks - we'll find this useful.  More magic to learn.  :)

      > With a simular config on your MCI border router you can add additional
      > paths on the MCI advertisement. When routers on the Internet receive the
      > Sprint advertisements and the MCI advertisements, it will prefer the Sprint
      > advertisement since they have the _shortest_AS_path_.

      Scott's breakdown gave some info, but I wonder what the routing policies
      of the biggest content providers are, e.g. netscape, isi.net with yahoo, etc.
      I will have to study our WWW consumption more to find out how much of
      the incoming megabytes come from the top web sites.

      > Is this policy entry in the APNIC database or the MCI database?

      APNIC.  It was required for AS allocation.  I thought we could do BGP
      on 64K Sprint and 64K MCI back then (March 1996), but we figured it
      was a bad idea. :)

      --
      miguel a.l. paraz  <map at iphil dot net>                              +63-2-893-0850
      iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>