Re: Routing policy in ASN database?

  • To: bgreene at cisco dot com (Barry Raveendran Greene)
  • Subject: Re: Routing policy in ASN database?
  • From: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 14:03:39 +0800 (HKT)
  • Cc: apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Hello,

      Barry Raveendran Greene wrote:
      > Yes, Miguel you will need to do some crash courses on BGP. If you wish we
      > can take this off line and work though some load balancing issues and
      > options. Or we can discuss it publicly - your choose.

      I'd go for the public discussion; we can keep APOPS active, and
      we can get others' participation here based on their experience.

      > Your in a better position then some cause your proxy/caches allow you to
      > do load balancing at the application level.

      Yes, in fact the requirement is not urgent since I plan to do the
      BGP initially with just Global One and use MCI for caching.  The
      transition can be done slowly.

      We're not looking for load balancing; redundancy is the main goal.
      Putting some of the load into the MCI circuit would be of secondary
      benefit.  This is why I was wondering how much routes would fill up
      the 256K MCI link.  Or, "how big is MCI?"

      > As to your original question about APNIC's IRR database, it is not yet
      > linked to any other database. There is some work behind the scenes to make
      > this happen. For now, you will need to keep a place marker object in
      > APNIC's database, but use the MCI database as the master. The MCI objects
      > will be mirrors over to RADB, RIPE, and other link IRRs. MCI has good
      > instructions on how to maintain your route objects.

      Yes, I've seen this.  I was just wondering, since right now we have
      a fake policy entry listed for our AS4743, and if that would break anything
      now that we're going to use this.

      --
      miguel a.l. paraz  <map at iphil dot net>                              +63-2-893-0850
      iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>