RE: Routing policy in ASN database?

  • To: "'Jian Q. Li'" <jian at sprint dot net>, "'Miguel A.L. Paraz'" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Subject: RE: Routing policy in ASN database?
  • From: Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene at cisco dot com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:24:37 +0800
  • Cc: "'apops at apnic dot net'" <apops at apnic dot net>
  • Encoding: 44 TEXT
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • > > Is the routing policy section in the ASN entries for the APNIC database
      in
      > > use anywhere?
      > >
      > > I am now preparing for a switch to BGP peering with Global One and MCI
      > > when our new link comes in mid-May.
      > >
      > > Given that we have will have a T1 to Global One and a 256K to MCI,
      > > do you think we can get MCI customers to route through MCI, and the
      > > rest to go through Global One, without saturating the 256K?  I'm
      > > wondering what percentage of the Net would go through MCI.
      >
      > Your 256K to MCI will be saturated in day 1 unless you play AS prepend
      game
      > or BGP community game with MCI and global one.

      It will not necessarily saturate. It all depends on how Miguel choose to
      set things up.

      Yes, Miguel you will need to do some crash courses on BGP. If you wish we
      can take this off line and work though some load balancing issues and
      options. Or we can discuss it publicly - your choose. Your in a better
      position then some cause your proxy/caches allow you to do load balancing
      at the application level.

      As to your original question about APNIC's IRR database, it is not yet
      linked to any other database. There is some work behind the scenes to make
      this happen. For now, you will need to keep a place marker object in
      APNIC's database, but use the MCI database as the master. The MCI objects
      will be mirrors over to RADB, RIPE, and other link IRRs. MCI has good
      instructions on how to maintain your route objects.

      Let me know if there is any way I can help.

      Barry

      Barry Raveendran Greene             |       ||        ||        |
      Senior Consultant                   |       ||        ||        |
      Consulting Engineering              |      ||||      ||||       |
      tel: +65 738-5535 ext 235           |  ..:||||||:..:||||||:..   |
      e-mail: bgreene at cisco dot com           |  c i s c o S y s t e m s  |