Re: The Cidr Report

  • To: gih at telstra dot net (Geoff Huston)
  • Subject: Re: The Cidr Report
  • From: randy at psg dot com (Randy Bush)
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 96 17:44 PST
  • Cc: nanog at merit dot edu, eof-list at ripe dot net, apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • > There is no "absolute" point at which to take these measurements. Any
      > point will be coloured (colored) by its relative Internet location with
      > respect to amounts of local detail and aggregated distant detail.

      Yes.  Dave Meyer is trying to overcome this with his new route viewer
      (route-views.uoregon.edu), analogous to Pushpendra's.  He is getting
      multi-hop BGP from Europe (thanks RIPE), Japan (thanks IIJ), and MAE-West
      (no, LA would probably not be an interesting addition:-) to get widely
      disparate and hence interesting views of the infrastructure.

      It would be prettier if he could

          ip as-path access-list 142 permit ^NAS_
          route-map peerN-in permit 1
             match as-path 142
             sed-path s/^NAS_//        ! or maybe
             set as-path un-prepend NAS
          neighbor 42.666.7.11 remote-as NAS
          neighbor 42.666.7.11 route-map peerN-in in

      to clean the first AS off the path, as it looks tacky.  But I suspect
      cisco would fear the impact of such a knob on their support folk.

      I do not think this approach would be overly useful for Tony's CIDR
      report.  It is not a debugging tool, but an overall trend chart.  The
      constant measurement point and relative measure is what I find useful.

      randy