Re: HK Telecoms Bandwidth?
- To: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
- Subject: Re: HK Telecoms Bandwidth?
- From: Che-Hoo Cheng <chcheng at cuhk dot edu dot hk>
- Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 22:48:45 +0800
- Cc: apops at apnic dot net
- Organization: The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- References: <199611180955.RAA04254@marikit.iphil.net>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote: > > Hi, > > another ISP guy wrote me: > > The T1 to HK costs about $56,000. I wouldn't worry about speed. HK Telecom > > has 2 T3s to US and 1 T3 to SingNet as far as I know, which adds up to > > 135MBps. I think IPLCs are far too cheap when you are a telco. > > For comparison, a T1 to the US from here is $80,000 > /month. Does HK really have this much bandwidth? That is not true. As far as I know, Hongkong Telecom CSL of HongKong Telecom Group (see http://www.hkt.net/netplus/network_diagram.html) has 2 to 3 T1s to US and several ~128Kbps links to places like Taiwan, Singapore (Singnet), Japan (KDD) & Australia. Kongkong Telecom IMS of the same group also has 1 or more T1 links to US. And, each of them has a T3 link to HKIX. Anyway, the aggregate bandwidth from HK to overseas, I guess, is around 25 - 30Mbps. Nobody knows the exact figure except, maybe, Hongkong Telecom which is the only long distance carrier in HK. Cheers, -- Che-Hoo Cheng | Email: chcheng at cuhk dot edu dot hk Data Comms and Networking Section | URL: http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/ Information Technology Service Unit | Tel: +852 2609-8848 The Chinese University of Hong Kong | Fax: +852 2603-5001