Re: worldwide fiber

  • To: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Subject: Re: worldwide fiber
  • From: gih at telstra dot net (Geoff Huston)
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 22:47:18 +1000
  • Cc: bmanning at isi dot edu, apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • At 10:56 PM 10/10/96, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:
      >Hi,
      >
      >bmanning@ISI.EDU wrote:
      >
      >> 	I understand there is a PTAT ring planned as well.
      >> 	Africa is being ringed by ATT and C&W is coordinating a run over
      >> 	the top of Asia/Russia and down through the Black Sea, Red
      >> 	Sea and then a cople of touchdowns in India, through
      >> 	Singapore/Malyasia and back up through the China Sea.
      >
      >This is great -- translates to lower prices for leased line customers?

      not exactly - the price of cable leases is probably dictated by
      considerations of return on investment capital rather than
      supply and demand. It's a quite involved picture which involves
      the cable underwriting consortium, the role of the cable manager and the
      process of undertaking MIUs from the cable. (However don't forget
      that I do not have a precise knowledge of this subject - I'm just a
      customer like many others!)

      geoff