Re: Very fast IP, no ATM...

  • To: gih at telstra dot net (Geoff Huston)
  • Subject: Re: Very fast IP, no ATM...
  • From: "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map at iphil dot net>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:50:23 +0000 ()
  • Cc: apops at apnic dot net
  • Sender: owner-apops@apnic.net
    • Hi,

      Geoff Huston wrote:

      > Seriously however this business is VERY different to traditional telephony
      > where we are seeing that a massive proportion of Internet traffic is
      > offshore traffic. This has a profound effect on both the nature of the
      > Internet business and also has a profound effect on the availability
      > and pricing of undersea cable circuits.

      Yes, we'd like to know, for example, what makes it difficult to order
      a trans-pacific T1, even if you could afford it; and; how to make your ISP
      business work in harmony on how these folks work.

      How about the converse -- how much of the international traffic is for
      TCP/IP, as opposed to other forms of data (private leased lines for
      companies), and voice?

      Finally, inter-AP circuits.  The current WWW edition of Data Communications
      (http://www.data.com) opines that X.25 is still an important technology
      for connecting within AP.  If leased lines were as easy to get, and a
      significant amount of traffic were say, for Australia (I have the raw data,
      but I think coorelating this with physical geography would be quite an
      exercise)), I would like to drive a circuit from Manila into Geoff's network
      (where's the geographical center?).

      On the other hand, if this is more of a political/legal issue, maybe
      APPLE would be a more appropriate venue for this discussion?

      --
      miguel a.l. paraz   <map at iphil dot net>       iphil communications, makati city, ph
      PGP ID: 0x43F0D011  http://www.iphil.net  isp/intranet design & implementation