Re: [apnic-talk] ICANN 49 event wrapup

    • To: Rajesh Chharia <rc at cjnet4u dot com>
    • Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] ICANN 49 event wrapup
    • From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve at eintellegonetworks dot com>
    • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:18:03 +1000
    • Cc: APNIC TALK <apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net>
      • Hi Rajesh,

        I did not raise the issue of APNIC being country biased, Hanif did and said they were Oceania focused and not Asia. ÂI think that is insulting - Âbut I am not offended.

        There was no insult meant toward Hanif personally or certainly to Pakistan... as I said, I have staff from there and was simply relating their comments which I trust, which equally apply to any country in any region. ÂThe cricket remark was a joke, so relax. I do hope to visit Pakistan one day.

        I do not believe the physical location of APNIC makes any difference, but there could be value in having staff based regionally... but for what? ÂSetting up a remote office is actually very expensive and would cost far more than the current travel expenses. ÂRIPE has setup a regional office recently... should APNIC do this? ÂI am not against it, but there would have to be a cost advantage to it happening and an obvious value proposition.

        For the most part I think that NIR's do a lot of this work and is a more appropriate mechanism.

        I also do not believe change for the sake of change is worth it. ÂThere is no point discussing the relocation of the APNIC head office, unless there is some specific driving force for it to do so... and if there was, I would fully support it. ÂOtherwise we could have 50+ countries suggesting that they need more attention and that basing APNIC there would help them. ÂI think this is the wrong way to look at it.

        One thing we need to do here as a membership is to stop trying to micro-manage APNIC. ÂThey have a DG, Deputy DG and EC that we elect to do that. ÂIt is their responsibility to manage the day-to-day and we should leave it to them unless there is a big problem. ÂAnd the way we should address big problems is by electing new EC members if we think the current ones are not doing a proper job. ÂIf the WHOLE community thinks they are doing an ok job, then leave them alone for the most part to do the small things that should not be concerning themselves about.

        Rajesh, I am not trying to sow differences between countrymen at all. ÂI am suggesting to someone that they talk to a fellow countrymen so that they might hopefully be able to express the roles and positions of APNIC in a local context. ÂI do the same all the time to those in Australia who might criticise what APNIC does and how.

        It is easy to sit far away, not attend conferences, not be involved and criticise any process and organisation. ÂThe Internet has provided everyone a (sometimes loud) voice to be armchair sportsmen that don't actually have to get involved in anything, but can sit at a distance and criticise on issues that are not fully understood.

        ...Skeeve

        Skeeve Stevens -Âeintellego Networks Pty Ltd
        The Experts Who The Experts Call
        Juniper - CiscoÂ- CloudÂ- ConsultingÂ- IPv4 Brokering