Re: [apnic-talk] AMM IG Discussion Comments
- To: Andy Linton <asjl at lpnz dot org>
- Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] AMM IG Discussion Comments
- From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve at eintellegonetworks dot com>
- Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 21:10:23 +1100
- Cc: "apnic-talk at apnic dot net" <apnic-talk at apnic dot net>
- Delivered-to: apnic-talk at mailman dot apnic dot net
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=apnic.net; s=c3po; h=received:received:x-google-dkim-signature:x-gm-message-state:x-received: mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to: cc:content-type; bh=WvZ3QDZfKS+yCwaBhO6j4Y1bJ1vfB0ucrdWzlHktfkk=; b=oGGYqM2znRGTWi+1uVfdaXfcxxsS6anSFdAaEZU/fsKTsHHQK0wEPRPz43KdjmQ/NjFYVJmAaWTd0 GmT+7WYmZUB0gZHTooCYvfi/YARmURGbVyzd04SQaAIrtClobYiC84Lou7QHnS6vXDjeptZ5LYQdgu kTjkhHg9jAFqRjjg=
- In-reply-to: <CALS-_OoBo1fjXTrcbkkJ06qoYrxU4SUh97e6-dBT-ocs8QGfOQ@mail.gmail.com>
- List-archive: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/apnic-talk/>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: General discussions on APNIC <apnic-talk.lists.apnic.net>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/options/apnic-talk>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Oh yes, sorry, I forgot about your poor organisation that had a surplus of NZD18million last year. You must be doing it tough.
In APNIC the minimum annual fee for those holding address space is AUD 1180 (EUR 790)
In RIPE the minimum annual fee for those holding address space is AUD 2607 (EUR 1750) - more than double.
The setup fee for RIPE is EUR 2000 (AUD 2980) and in APNIC it is AUD1750 (EUR 1172)
So in the first year, RIPE is EUR 2000 + 1750 = 3750 (AUD 5587)
For the initial APNIC fee, including initial fee and first year membership it is AUD 2425 (EUR 1625)
RIPE is 3 times the amount of APNIC for small members, and I don't see a discount in RIPE for LDC's (someone correct me if there is).
This may not be entirely accurate re RIPE given they have per allocation fees and stuff, so it is even more.
RIPE Ref: http://www.ripe.net/lir-services/member-support/info/billing/billing-procedure-and-fee-schedule-2014
Yes, it is cheaper for larger block holders under RIPE as they don't charge on the size of the holding, but the number of allocations... but, for smaller members, APNIC is FAR better value, and considering that developing economies get a 50% discount on the above fees.
Essentially you are complaining about membership fees of those who have a LOT of resources (/16+) in your case, which most likely are organisations that can easily afford it - yours as an example. It would be interesting to know the kind of organisation that hold resources like a /16 that are having trouble affording their membership fees.
I wonder if we should ask our members if they would like to use the RIPE fee model... and what percentage of our members are large vs small? You'd lose this argument.
So Andy... I call bullshit on your fees comments. I also see them as self interested and self serving - and you don't even pay the bills yourself.
Skeeve Stevens - eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellegonetworks dot com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com
Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Andy Linton <asjl at lpnz dot org> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve at eintellegonetworks dot com> wrote:
And why do you think membership fees are too high? APNIC just recently reduced the initial fee. and Developing nations already receive a significant discount on these fees to join.It's very simple - if an organisation with a /16 + 2 x /24 of IPv4 and a /32 of IPv6 was a member of RIPE they'd pay around NZ$3400 pa. As an APNIC member, they'd pay NZ$10600 pa.I want to know what extra value they'd get from APNIC that warrants an extra NZ$7200 pa. And if a large chunk of that NZ$7200 is spent on Internet Governance then I think reducing that would be a good thing.
apnic-talk mailing list
apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net