Re: [apnic-talk] AMM IG Discussion Comments
- To: "apnic-talk at apnic dot net" <apnic-talk at apnic dot net>
- Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] AMM IG Discussion Comments
- From: Andy Linton <asjl at lpnz dot org>
- Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 19:00:36 +1300
- Delivered-to: apnic-talk at mailman dot apnic dot net
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=apnic.net; s=c3po; h=received:received:dkim-signature:x-google-dkim-signature:x-gm-message-state: x-received:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id: subject:to:content-type; bh=PLZ20SW5WZpNCGKgT1QQ9OjoWbU5UTAiM00aqrHLkM8=; b=I6IQeGBeFFG4UShQEt2LT4P2zHtNQ9/5LiFA3k/Jch9fIRWsNlo94xUyDOEhLYC2W04kAcupYWtwb Agj1Kay8VxPb76WPV3O20f/dGg9gamHdrFXzjrqDIYIvxUMuT9IdRlOPDLj2tLkvCRyQd7X2DUa/nm VLTRd3FzDtwGFu8I=
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=lpnz.org; s=dkim; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; bh=PLZ20SW5WZpNCGKgT1QQ9OjoWbU5UTAiM00aqrHLkM8=; b=U5mHaTgiBhfyQCZ7BWzEh5W17EVhICoD5YZiP18UUS+MN2TBgKg/BH/C67J9be+U5v D/AC49R8uZTru28QWNgUqzAXYe78POxqkXhl+VYr0gsVa+K6QllbEmFtDyMN1mJ2jKo2 E+wc3EFXwPgdvObU7XYPDIjhcYbauk/uMb/V4=
- In-reply-to: <CALS-_OpUQ1ZZTv5cWL30DNugBHaraj=yTvf+0fpOVGDxRoovMg at mail dot gmail dot com>
- List-archive: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/apnic-talk/>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: General discussions on APNIC <apnic-talk.lists.apnic.net>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/options/apnic-talk>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
I still keen to understand the cost of APNIC taking part in these activities. I'm keen to know because I think that this money could be spent better elsewhere in the region and on technical development and perhaps in reducing the cost of membership so that more people can afford to get address space.
I have no hidden agenda on this.
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Andy Linton <asjl at lpnz dot org> wrote:
So the answer here is either "we have no idea how much this all costs" or "we have an idea and we don't want to tell you" or "we have such a wide remit from the EC, we don't care".
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Tony Smith <tony at apnic dot net> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> There is no specific cost centre of "Internet governance activities" in
> APNIC. However, Paul provided a list of the activities which may be
> related to Internet governance - I have listed those below this message.
> The budget for the Secretariat is developed in consultation with the APNIC
> EC each year, and approved by the EC before being presented to members.
> The EC are regularly updated throughout the year on the current budget
> status, including expenditure and income, to ensure they are fully
In the AMM meeting, the APNIC Treasurer said:
>>James Spenceley: ÂOne of the things we can do is certainly understand the extent of our investment in this. ÂWe can work with finance on that. ÂIn terms of creating a moratorium, I think that is possibly one step too far, but as treasurer I would like to understand exactly the investment we are making in this space and the materiality of that and continue on discussing it.
and then later in the discussion:
>>Andy Linton: ÂJames, you said the moratorium is a step too far, and perhaps you are right. ÂBut perhaps one of the Âthings that could be done here, if we are going to talk to membership, would be to say, as part of the accounts would be to break out the true cost of doing the Internet governance activities and also try and provide some real measurement of the real benefits it brings to this community. ÂI am not convinced, and I am sensing a number of other people are not convinced, that the amount of resource we spend on it actually brings us the benefits that we claim or are claimed for it. Thank you.
>>James Spenceley: ÂI take that on board.
---So I'm going to ask again - can we see the numbers? Are we talking $500,000, $1m, $2m?Even a low estimate would be good. Over the last twelve months, take a look at:e.g. Paul, Pablo and Adam's travel and accommodationA component for their salaries for the IG workThe cost of back filling this time - if they're doing this IG work then other activities go by the board e.g. Sanjaya was recently promoted to Deputy DGThe cost of external parties funded to do IG work