Re: [apnic-talk] IANA Globalization Progress

    • To: Izumi Okutani <izumi at nic dot ad dot jp>, <apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net>
    • Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] IANA Globalization Progress
    • From: Masato Yamanishi <myamanis at japan-telecom dot com>
    • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:14:31 -0700
    • Delivered-to: apnic-talk at mailman dot apnic dot net
    • In-reply-to: <5332283D.8010202 at nic dot ad dot jp>
    • List-archive: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/apnic-talk/>
    • List-help: <mailto:apnic-talk-request@lists.apnic.net?subject=help>
    • List-id: General discussions on APNIC <apnic-talk.lists.apnic.net>
    • List-post: <mailto:apnic-talk@lists.apnic.net>
    • List-subscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk>, <mailto:apnic-talk-request@lists.apnic.net?subject=subscribe>
    • List-unsubscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/options/apnic-talk>, <mailto:apnic-talk-request@lists.apnic.net?subject=unsubscribe>
    • References: <CF48EE5A.85B79%myamanis@japan-telecom.com> <365C33CF-B77B-40CA-88B5-53746928444D@apnic.net> <5323ECC9.3030609@cis-india.org> <CF4CC73D.85D7D%myamanis@japan-telecom.com> <201403191612.GIE89288.BNFN@nic.ad.jp> <CF50E9B7.86A67%myamanis@japan-telecom.com> <532E33C6.9030508@nic.ad.jp> <CAPUFQLqsrgn2G3Oub9d-moYeFPwTioD7M_9woF7G6grsTzby5g@mail.gmail.com> <CF5468F5.8CAA%tony@apnic.net> <CF55BF7B.875A6%myamanis@japan-telecom.com> <5332283D.8010202@nic.ad.jp>
    • Thread-topic: [apnic-talk] IANA Globalization Progress
      • 
        As I wrote in last e-mail to Maemura-san and others,
        I have a concern for the process itself and would like to ask EC to claim
        it to ICANN.
        
        http://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/apnic-talk/archive/2014/03/msg00059.
        html
        
        >>EC members>
        >>I believe you are preparing some input as APNIC community for this
        >>proposed process,
        >>I would like to ask you claiming that each internet bodies should have
        >>more flexibility during this process, in particular time constrain, and
        >>ICANN should respect such flexibility of each internet bodies.
        
        Rgs,
        Masato Yamanishi
        
        
        
        
        On 14/03/25 18:07, "Izumi Okutani" <izumi at nic dot ad dot jp> wrote:
        
        >Yamanishi-san and all,
        >
        >
        >I did read your follow up post but just to share more information about
        >what's happening here at ICANN Singapore with all of you -
        >
        >You can find out more details from the presentation and transcripts of
        >the session below:
        >
        >IANA Accountability Transition
        >http://singapore49.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-iana-accountability
        >
        >It was emphasized that ICANN meetings  and ICANN community are not the
        >only opportuniy or the community to discuss the IANA transition.
        >
        >They welcome discussions at other forums including those of the RIRs,
        >which ofcourse includes APNIC. You can see this from P.17 of the slides,
        >APNIC and APRICOT clearly listed.
        >
        >If there are issues process wise as Yamanishi-san has pointed out, it is
        >also possible to submit comments directly to the ICANN as well at:
        >
        > ianatransition at icann dot org
        > http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/transition
        >
        >This is not intended to stop discussions here ofcourse and I just want
        >to share that there are ways to directly give feedbacks to the ICANN.
        >
        >
        >Regards,
        >Izumi@Singapore
        >
        >(2014/03/25 3:11), Masato Yamanishi wrote:
        >> All,
        >> 
        >> John Curran, ARIN CEO, just shared next step on arin-ppml mailing list,
        >> and let me share it as I could not find better source.
        >> (Sorry, I don't have any intension to quote it)
        >> 
        >> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2014-March/028006.html
        >> 
        >> And, we need to reply feedback before "Mar 27th, 2014" which means this
        >> THURSDAY!!
        >> However, I have not yet understood what we need to give a feedback for.
        >> Does somebody know it?
        >> 
        >> 
        >>http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/functions-transfer-process-
        >>14m
        >> ar14-en.pdf
        >> 
        >> My first comment for this is "It's too urgent.  ICANN should not push
        >>other
        >> internet orgs to do anything."
        >> 
        >> Rgs,
        >> Masato Yamanishi
        >> 
        >> 
        >> On 14/03/22 20:16, "Tony Smith" <tony at apnic dot net> wrote:
        >> 
        >>> Hi Naresh
        >>>
        >>> Sorry, to answer your earlier question about "plans" - the plan is
        >>>something
        >>> that APNIC, our community, and all interested Internet users worldwide
        >>>have
        >>> been prompted to contribute to as per the NTIA announcement (which
        >>>asked ICANN
        >>> to facilitate).
        >>>
        >>> Paul's email from Friday (available here:
        >>> 
        >>>http://www.apnic.net/publications/news/2014/iana-globalization-consultat
        >>>ion-pr
        >>> ocess) explained the next steps.
        >>>
        >>> Everyone - including the Secretariat! - is hoping to find out more at
        >>>ICANN 49
        >>> in Singapore.  We hope there will be discussion at the meeting on how
        >>>this
        >>> process is going to work and the community will have some input into
        >>>the
        >>> mechanics of the consultation process.  ICANN changed the program just
        >>>today
        >>> with an updated time for its discussion session - it is now at 10.30am
        >>>SG time
        >>> on Monday:
        >>> http://singapore49.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-globalization-advisory
        >>>
        >>> As Paul's email said, the APNIC EC is currently considering the best
        >>>ways to
        >>> facilitate discussions and capture input from the Asia Pacific
        >>>community.  It
        >>> would be great to hear your and other Members' views on how the APNIC
        >>> community can contribute to this process.
        >>>
        >>> Kind regards
        >>> Tony
        >>>
        >>> From: Naresh Ajwani <ajwaninaresh at gmail dot com>
        >>> Date: Sunday, 23 March 2014 10:19 am
        >>> To: MAEMURA Akinori <maem at nic dot ad dot jp>
        >>> Cc: "apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net" <apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net>
        >>> Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] IANA Globalization Progress
        >>>
        >>> Maemura, hi
        >>>
        >>> Masato; Do you mean that DG had signed it before consulting EC nor
        >>>members as
        >>>>> there was not enough time?
        >>>>> Does it comply with APNIC by-laws 54? It says;
        >>> Maemura; "I am sure he has been in full touch with the EC to proceed
        >>>these
        >>> issues and signed them under the EC's authorization."
        >>>
        >>> Is it  part of any Munute of Meeting or mails and if in public domain?
        >>>
        >>> Transparency wud help more. I am still waiting for the plans if any, I
        >>>had
        >>> asked for in this thread mails
        >>>
        >>> Regards & best wishes
        >>>
        >>> Naresh Ajwani
        >>>
        >>> On 23 Mar 2014 06:37, "MAEMURA Akinori" <maem at nic dot ad dot jp> wrote:
        >>>> Masato,
        >>>>
        >>>>
        >>>> (2014/03/21 11:18), Masato Yamanishi wrote:
        >>>>>> Maemura-san and EC members,
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>> Thank you for sharing EC's view.
        >>>>>> Let me quote your statement in slightly different order to make my
        >>>>> comment.
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> Technically speaking on the basis of our governing provisions,
        >>>>>>>> the Executive Council has function to act on behalf of the Members
        >>>>>>>> in the interval between AGMs, and to manage the activities,
        >>>>>>>>functions
        >>>>>>>> and affairs of APNIC.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> More practically, the EC represents the Membership to manage
        >>>>>>>>APNIC's
        >>>>>>>> activity,
        >>>>>>>> and need to comply the will of the Membership, sometimes with the
        >>>>>>>> broader community.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> We have the power to authorise the activity by DG and Secretariat
        >>>>>>>>for
        >>>>>>>> the Membership,
        >>>>>>>> but need to synchronise our thought on the authorization with the
        >>>>>>>> Membership.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> That is why we set a timeslot to discuss the Internet Governance
        >>>>>>>>issue
        >>>>>>>> in the AMM this time,
        >>>>>>>> after we announced our support for Montevideo Statement in
        >>>>>>>>January.
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>> It complies with APNIC by-laws 30, so I don't see any problem from
        >>>>>> procedure perspective.
        >>>> Yes, as you see the wording in my message was in accordance with it.
        >>>>
        >>>>>> BUT,
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> Montevideo Statement was crafted among the I* CEOs in the
        >>>>>>>>situation, as
        >>>>>>>> Tony has already told,
        >>>>>>>> with very limited time allowance with very quick moves at that
        >>>>>>>>time,
        >>>>>>>> and so was the I*'s reaction to NTIA statement.
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>> Do you mean that DG had signed it before consulting EC nor members
        >>>>>>as
        >>>>>> there was not enough time?
        >>>>>> Does it comply with APNIC by-laws 54? It says;
        >>>> I am sure he has been in full touch with the EC to proceed these
        >>>>issues and
        >>>> signed them under the EC's authorization.
        >>>>
        >>>> Akinori
        >>>>>> 54. The main functions of the Director General are:
        >>>>>>    a. to act as the chief executive officer of APNIC and the
        >>>>>>corporation;
        >>>>>>    b. to have, subject to the provisions of these by-laws and to the
        >>>>>> direction of the Executive Council, the responsibility for the
        >>>>>>general
        >>>>>> management and control of the activities, functions and affairs of
        >>>>>>APNIC
        >>>>>> and the corporation and shall perform all duties and have all
        >>>>>>powers which
        >>>>>> are commonly incident to the office of chief executive or which are
        >>>>>> delegated by the Executive Council;
        >>>>>>    c. to execute all contracts, agreements and other instruments of
        >>>>>>the
        >>>>>> corporation which are authorised including affixing the Seal of the
        >>>>>> corporation;
        >>>>>>    d. to appoint and have general supervision and direction of all
        >>>>>>of the
        >>>>>> other staff and agents of APNIC and the corporation, including but
        >>>>>>not
        >>>>>> limited to bookkeeping, accounting and treasury functions on behalf
        >>>>>>of the
        >>>>>> Treasurer;
        >>>>>>    e. to implement strategic policies, prepare plans for APNIC, and
        >>>>>>shall
        >>>>>> coordinate its activities, functions and affairs;
        >>>>>>    f. to report to the Executive Council and to put forward
        >>>>>>resolutions for
        >>>>>> the consideration of the Executive Council;
        >>>>>>    g. to take all the actions required to ensure the economic use of
        >>>>>> APNIC's resources and shall be responsible to the Executive Council
        >>>>>>for
        >>>>>> all the administrative and financial aspects of APNIC's activities;
        >>>>>>    h. to act as the legal representative of APNIC and the
        >>>>>>corporation;
        >>>>>>    i. to act as an ex-officio member of the Executive Council.
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>> Rgs,
        >>>>>> Masato Yamanishi
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>> On 14/03/19 0:12, "MAEMURA Akinori" <maem at nic dot ad dot jp> wrote:
        >>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> Dear Masato, Pranesh and everyone,
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> I know this is very late response for your request for the EC to
        >>>>>> clarify.
        >>>>>>>> Apologies.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> At Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:41:35 -0700
        >>>>>>>> In message <CF4CC73D.85D7D%myamanis at japan-telecom dot com
        >>>>>> <mailto:CF4CC73D.85D7D%25myamanis at japan-telecom dot com> >
        >>>>>>>>    "Re: [apnic-talk] IANA Globalization Progress"
        >>>>>>>>    "Masato Yamanishi <myamanis at japan-telecom dot com>" wrote:
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> | Pranesh and All,
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>>> | While I'm not new to APNIC, I have same question/concern.
        >>>>>>>> | Can EC clarify it?
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> Montevideo Statement was crafted among the I* CEOs in the
        >>>>>>>>situation, as
        >>>>>>>> Tony has already told, with very limited time allowance with very
        >>>>>>>>quick
        >>>>>>>> moves at that time, and so was the I*'s reaction to NTIA
        >>>>>>>>statement.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> Technically speaking on the basis of our governing provisions, the
        >>>>>>>> Executive Council has function to act on behalf of the Members in
        >>>>>>>>the
        >>>>>>>> interval between AGMs, and to manage the activities, functions and
        >>>>>>>> affairs of APNIC.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> More practically, the EC represents the Membership to manage
        >>>>>>>>APNIC's
        >>>>>>>> activity, and need to comply the will of the Membership,
        >>>>>>>>sometimes with
        >>>>>>>> the broader community.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> We have the power to authorise the activity by DG and Secretariat
        >>>>>>>>for
        >>>>>> the
        >>>>>>>> Membership, but need to synchronise our thought on the
        >>>>>>>>authorization
        >>>>>> with
        >>>>>>>> the Membership.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> That is why we set a timeslot to discuss the Internet Governance
        >>>>>>>>issue
        >> in
        >>>>>>>> the AMM this time, after we announced our support for Montevideo
        >>>>>>>> Statement in January.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> It was great to see very active discussion there, and that it
        >>>>>>>>triggered
        >>>>>>>> the continued discussion on line.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> As Masato points out, now Paul is more engaged in the activity of
        >>>>>>>> coordination among our fellow organizations and ITU arena, which
        >>>>>>>>is
        >>>>>> based
        >>>>>>>> on the EC's authorization.  We authorize becuase we think it
        >>>>>>>>needed.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> I understand it looks like politics game with little thing, if not
        >>>>>>>> nothing, to do with Members' own business.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> However from the viewpoint of a company whose business is serving
        >>>>>>>> community with Internet Resource, one of which is APNIC, it is
        >>>>>>>>really
        >>>>>>>> important to address the risk of unwanted non-viable arrangement
        >>>>>>>>and to
        >>>>>>>> have people with other stakes understand our position.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> Moreover, as already mentioned, the forthcoming couple of years
        >>>>>>>>are
        >>>>>> quite
        >>>>>>>> crucial stage for us to keep our healthy business environment.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> That's why we authorize these activities by Secretariat, and what
        >>>>>>>>we
        >>>>>> need
        >>>>>>>> to have you understand.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> As we have many things to come, Director General and the EC will
        >>>>>>>>have
        >>>>>>>> more communication each other to consider these actions, than we
        >>>>>>>>have
        >>>>>>>> already been doing.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> I know, through my own business, that how Internet Governance
        >>>>>>>>issues are
        >>>>>>>> difficult for people (e.g. of tech community) to realize,  I am
        >>>>>>>>still on
        >>>>>>>> the way to find how I can couple the issue we confront adequately
        >>>>>>>>with
        >>>>>>>> community's interest.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> The EC needs to have the Membership's support with well-informed
        >>>>>> consent,
        >>>>>>>> and of course we need to change our thought just in case we found
        >>>>>>>>it was
        >>>>>>>> not of the Membership and community, and I hope the current
        >>>>>>>>discussion
        >>>>>>>> will valuable for the purpose.
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> Sincerely,
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> MAEMURA Akinori, my own hat on, but I am sure the EC well sheres
        >>>>>>>>these
        >>>>>>>> points
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>>
        >>>>>>>> | Rgs,
        >>>>>>>> | Masato Yamanishi
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>>> | On 14/03/14 23:01, "Pranesh Prakash" <pranesh at cis-india dot org>
        >>>>>>>>wrote:
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>>> | >Tony Smith [2014-03-14 21:42]:
        >>>>>>>> | >> As I'm sure you appreciate, the news from the US has just
        >>>>>>>>arrived
        >>>>>>>> this
        >>>>>>>> | >>morning and a lot of the details are still coming to light.
        >>>>>>>>We're
        >>>>>>>> | >>planning to prepare something that explains what this
        >>>>>>>>development
        >>>>>>>> means
        >>>>>>>> | >>in more detail when more information is confirmed.
        >>>>>>>> | >
        >>>>>>>> | >I'm sorry, but I'm new to APNIC's lists.
        >>>>>>>> | >
        >>>>>>>> | >Was there any consultation within APNIC before APNIC's
        >>>>>>>>leader's name
        >>>>>>>> was
        >>>>>>>> | >added to this statement?  Could you also point me towards the
        >>>>>> community
        >>>>>>>> | >consultation / mailing list discussions that took place before
        >>>>>>>>the
        >>>>>>>> | >Montevideo Declaration was signed as something APNIC endorsed?
        >>>>>>>> | >
        >>>>>>>> | >> But for now, we wanted to alert everyone to this news and
        >>>>>>>>the fact
        >>>>>>>> | >>consultation will begin in our region in Singapore.
        >>>>>>>> | >
        >>>>>>>> | >Could you outline the intra-APNIC consultations (i.e., not the
        >>>>>>>>ICANN
        >>>>>>>> | >consultations about which ICANN's published a document) that
        >>>>>>>>will
        >>>>>> take
        >>>>>>>> | >place with regard to this?  Which mailing list will these
        >>>>>>>>discussions
        >>>>>>>> be
        >>>>>>>> | >directed towards?
        >>>>>>>> | >
        >>>>>>>> | >--
        >>>>>>>> | >Pranesh Prakash
        >>>>>>>> | >Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
        >>>>>>>> | >T: +91 80 40926283 <tel:%2B91%2080%2040926283>  | W:
        >>>>>> http://cis-india.org
        >>>>>>>> | >-------------------
        >>>>>>>> | >Access to Knowledge Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale
        >>>>>>>>Law
        >>>>>>>> School
        >>>>>>>> | >M: +1 520 314 7147 <tel:%2B1%20520%20314%207147>  | W:
        >>>>>> http://yaleisp.org
        >>>>>>>> | >PGP ID: 0x1D5C5F07 | Twitter:
        >>>>>>>>https://twitter.com/pranesh_prakash
        >>>>>>>> | >
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>>> | _______________________________________________
        >>>>>>>> | apnic-talk mailing list
        >>>>>>>> | apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net
        >>>>>>>> | http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk
        >>>>>>>> |
        >>>>>>
        >>>>
        >>>> _______________________________________________
        >>>> apnic-talk mailing list
        >>>> apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net
        >>>> http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk
        >>> _______________________________________________ apnic-talk mailing list
        >>> apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net
        >>> http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk
        >> 
        >> 
        >> 
        >> 
        >> 
        >> _______________________________________________
        >> apnic-talk mailing list
        >> apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net
        >> http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk
        >> 
        >
        >_______________________________________________
        >apnic-talk mailing list
        >apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net
        >http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk