Re: [apnic-talk] AMM IG Discussion Comments

    • To: "apnic-talk at apnic dot net" <apnic-talk at apnic dot net>
    • Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] AMM IG Discussion Comments
    • From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve at eintellegonetworks dot com>
    • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 17:20:50 +1100
    • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=apnic.net; s=c3po; h=received:received:x-google-dkim-signature:x-gm-message-state:x-received: mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to: content-type; bh=UUPuzbEi7SM2XrpHIp1QFal3/j+Gl8njVlnva364K2o=; b=CkUfrWVw09TEUpfk7HQTgH+ng9LqQ8n8wBzktzQHCfy/yw/9hZFWUC2nfRfMYCOl+SvVmQsRbopMb LB8UtmPql9vO81bM5bOC0dFja+mqt2vsoIbk/fL8HcdOA2/T8UlR+CYWJRoZI6DmdKO5VKiXMQmFoW zQa5h6nAtnf87LZI=
      • Masato/Andy,

        Whatever the report may be from the EC about costs relating to IG - What position are you in you judge/comment on those resources that are being used?  Do either of you manage the finances for a large organisation?

        I am not saying the investment is too much, or too little... I am simply trying to understand what you two hope to accomplish with your attacks on APNIC?

        I have no problems with the information, and I too am interested to know, but I am suspicious of your motives, which you've not explained here.

        Currently we have the Chair and the Co-Chair of the Policy SIG demanding information from the APNIC EC, with no stated objective.  I am not sure how either of you see your positions as tenable with the hostile position you are taking.

        I do not believe you guys are in any position to judge either way whether the amount that has been spent is too little or too much...

        The questions is... who is capable of judging this?

        Paul Wilson and his team have put a lot of effort into IG over the past few years... with, from what I understand, not a lot of help from the other RIR's.  Is that fair? Absolutely not.  It certainly does seem that APNIC has done and paid for far more than its fair share of heavy lifting here...

        But, how do you put a price on the stability of the Internet and how it is governed?  Who are you to judge that whether 500k, 1m, 2m 5m is too much to have been spent in fighting the hard fight against the ITU and ensuring the future of one of the greatest inventions of our time?

        I also am interested in how much IG has cost us... but mainly from the perspective of being able to measure the effort that APNIC, and especially Paul has put into this fight.

        So far I have seen no one question Paul's motive, no one question the benefits or outcomes of the efforts APNIC has put into IG.  All I see at the moment is people wanting to know how much it has cost the community.

        Again, I ask you Andy and Masato - what are your motives?

        Andy... you make a supposition about why shouldn't you move your membership to RIPE as a cost savings.  You directly stated that your organisation had a surplus of $18million last year, but that paying an extra $6k would be a problem.  I think you and your organisation should be ashamed of themselves.  An organisation that I am sure has benefited massively from the Internet and the resources it has had.  If you are concerned about the funding and financial position of APNIC, perhaps you should contribute accordingly. Andy - do you officially speak for the Victoria University of Wellington as a whole?

        Masato... do you speak officially for Softbank/JTA? You are emailing from your work account.

        I do not question or deny your rights to ask the questions you are asking, but the manner and hostile way you are asking them suggests something far more than you have let on to everyone else on this list.

        My motives for my position are clear and simple.  I want to see a stable Internet, governed according to the principals that it was founded on. As a member and someone who represents multiple members, I also am more than fine with the finances of APNIC being used to fight this battle.  Ideally, I would like to see the other RIR's chipping in a proportionate amount of effort/time/money as well... and if they are not, perhaps compensating APNIC for doing so.

        But I do very much believe that Paul and APNIC have abundant experience in the area of Internet Governance and have the passion to fight to protect it. Some battles are worth fighting for - and this is one of them.  Some people care about tomorrow and can see what will happen if the wrong path is taken.  Some just care about themselves and how things affect them today.

        I also challenge the EC to either support the DG and position he has taken - or don't... but either way, it should be publicly.  But if you don't support him, you have other issues you need to be sorting out.

        ...Skeeve

        Skeeve Stevens - eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
        The Experts Who The Experts Call
        Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering