Re: [apnic-talk] AMM IG Discussion Comments
- To: "apnic-talk at apnic dot net" <apnic-talk at apnic dot net>
- Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] AMM IG Discussion Comments
- From: Andy Linton <asjl at lpnz dot org>
- Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 13:58:05 +1300
- Delivered-to: apnic-talk at mailman dot apnic dot net
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=apnic.net; s=c3po; h=received:received:dkim-signature:x-google-dkim-signature:x-gm-message-state: x-received:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id: subject:to:content-type; bh=5Uigr9Gq05WYcR0SZfLjP6lYT6NihLLQpS+r0BnJMp8=; b=yydqXliZBHWsbHE74USpBQ/FiAHZPARK5xeOsx98BcoQBUKELrshqOELcUDXBc88FUmiEH7ErqqIW mmKOUwjtrsJT1Ze7WtdBbAntwsC8UwUaRlJBOXKsSzktDShHCTlHea41YioUrUz9ApzPdxDZJDGazf sICVzU18jHLQPliQ=
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=lpnz.org; s=dkim; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; bh=5Uigr9Gq05WYcR0SZfLjP6lYT6NihLLQpS+r0BnJMp8=; b=MLh50yn595CdLrxtrwCyeatUedtCSSKu+iDT0m8QLczoTupc4zkwNiZrNtAxTvomBW ELiCAMvlDDlHUxvRC1ZkA+F49DOKHjiy0IaH7rwk5b81QAWgSYGbKCgaQTi7qqqdmZ2s IdE5glAlao50vqjYVLGekSXcm86FztJ+162dk=
- In-reply-to: <CF5070F1.86FA%tony at apnic dot net>
- List-archive: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/apnic-talk/>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: General discussions on APNIC <apnic-talk.lists.apnic.net>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/apnic-talk>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/options/apnic-talk>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Tony Smith <tony at apnic dot net> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
> There is no specific cost centre of "Internet governance activities" in
> APNIC. However, Paul provided a list of the activities which may be
> related to Internet governance - I have listed those below this message.
> The budget for the Secretariat is developed in consultation with the APNIC
> EC each year, and approved by the EC before being presented to members.
> The EC are regularly updated throughout the year on the current budget
> status, including expenditure and income, to ensure they are fully
So the answer here is either "we have no idea how much this all costs" or "we have an idea and we don't want to tell you" or "we have such a wide remit from the EC, we don't care".
In the AMM meeting, the APNIC Treasurer said:
>>James Spenceley: ÂOne of the things we can do is certainly understand the extent of our investment in this. ÂWe can work with finance on that. ÂIn terms of creating a moratorium, I think that is possibly one step too far, but as treasurer I would like to understand exactly the investment we are making in this space and the materiality of that and continue on discussing it.
and then later in the discussion:
>>Andy Linton: ÂJames, you said the moratorium is a step too far, and perhaps you are right. ÂBut perhaps one of the Âthings that could be done here, if we are going to talk to membership, would be to say, as part of the accounts would be to break out the true cost of doing the Internet governance activities and also try and provide some real measurement of the real benefits it brings to this community. ÂI am not convinced, and I am sensing a number of other people are not convinced, that the amount of resource we spend on it actually brings us the benefits that we claim or are claimed for it. Thank you.
>>James Spenceley: ÂI take that on board.
So I'm going to ask again - can we see the numbers? Are we talking $500,000, $1m, $2m?
Even a low estimate would be good. Over the last twelve months, take a look at:
e.g. Paul, Pablo and Adam's travel and accommodation
A component for their salaries for the IG work
The cost of back filling this time - if they're doing this IG work then other activities go by the board e.g. Sanjaya was recently promoted to Deputy DG
The cost of external parties funded to do IG work