[apnic-talk] IANA Globalization Progress

    • To: "apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net" <apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net>
    • Subject: [apnic-talk] IANA Globalization Progress
    • From: Tony Smith <tony at apnic dot net>
    • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 23:49:38 +0000
    • Accept-language: en-US, en-AU
        There's been some significant news today with the US Government stating
        that it is ready to transfer its stewardship of important Internet
        technical functions to the global Internet community.

        The US Government's current responsibilities to be transitioned include
        its role as the historic steward of the unique identifiers registries for
        Domain names, IP addresses, and protocol parameters.
        http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition
        -key-internet-domain-name-functions

        The leaders of the Internet technical community have welcomed this
        announcement - the statement is below.

        The first public discussions to develop the process for this transition
        will take place in Singapore at ICANN 49 (March 23-27).   We strongly
        encourage the Asia Pacific community to get involved in these very
        important discussions and to have your say.

        More information on the Singapore meeting is available here:
        http://singapore49.icann.org/en/

        Best wishes
        Tony

        ----

        Internet Technical Leaders Welcome IANA Globalization Progress

        The leaders of the Internet technical organizations responsible for
        coordination of the Internet infrastructure (IETF, IAB, RIRs, ccTLD ROs,
        ICANN, ISOC, and W3C), welcome the US Governmentâs announcement of the
        suggested changes related to the IANA functions contract.

        The roles on policy development processes of the Internet technical
        organizations and ICANN's role as administrator of the IANA functions,
        remain unchanged.

        The transition of the US Government stewardship has been envisaged since
        the early days of IANA functions contract. This transition is now
        feasible due to the maturity of the Internet technical organizations
        involved in performing their respective roles related to the IANA
        functions, and ICANN will facilitate a global, multi-stakeholder process
        to plan for the transition.

        The strength and stability of the IANA functions within the above
        organizations (which make up the Internet technical community) are
        critical to the operation of the Internet. The processes around the IANA
        functions have always been carefully specified in the communities that
        our organizations represent. The IANA functions are faithfully
        administered by ICANN. We are committed to continuing our proven,
        community-driven processes as we engage in this transition. Our
        communities are already considering proposals to progress the
        transition.

        Our organizations are committed to open and transparent
        multi-stakeholder processes. We are also committed to further
        strengthening our processes and agreements related to the IANA
        functions, and to building on the existing organizations and their
        roles. The Internet technical community is strong enough to continue its
        role, while assuming the stewardship function as it transitions from the
        US Government.

        Participating Leaders

        â Adiel A. Akplogan, CEO African Network Information Center (AFRINIC)

        â Barrack Otieno, Manager, The African Top Level Domains Organization
        (AFTLD)

        â Paul Wilson, Director General Asia-Pacific Network Information Centre
        (APNIC)

        â Don Hollander, General Manager Asia Pacific Top Level Domain
        Association (APTLD)

        â John Curran, CEO American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)

        â Peter Van Roste, General Manager, Council for European National Top
        Level Domain Registries (CENTR)

        â Russ Housley, Chair Internet Architecture Board (IAB)

        â Fadi ChehadÃ, President and CEO Internet Corporation for Assigned
        Names and Numbers (ICANN)

        â Jari Arkko, Chair Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)

        â Kathy Brown, President and CEO Internet Society (ISOC)

        â RaÃl EcheberrÃa, CEO Latin America and Caribbean Internet Addresses
        Registry (LACNIC)

        â Carolina Aguerre, General Manager, Latin American and Caribbean TLD
        Association (LACTLD)

        â Axel Pawlik, Managing Director RÃseaux IP EuropÃens Network
        Coordination Centre (RIPE NCC)

        â Jeff Jaffe, CEO World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)