Re: [apnic-talk] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Bakers dozen/ witches coven no mo

  • To: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell at ripe dot net>
  • Subject: Re: [apnic-talk] Re: [atlarge-discuss] Bakers dozen/ witches coven no more...
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1 at ix dot netcom dot com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:48:02 -0800
  • Cc: "apnic-talk at apnic dot net" <apnic-talk at apnic dot net>
  • Sender: owner-apnic-talk@apnic.net
    • Bruce and all,

      Bruce Campbell wrote:

      > On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Jeff Williams wrote:
      >
      > > Sotiris and all,
      > >
      > >   It is interesting in this article that Paul Wilson of APNIC is trying to take
      > > credit for the long standing concerns that Joe Baptista pointed out
      > > recently for this update in Root Server's.  I had to laugh when I read
      > > his off the cuff comment in that regard...
      >
      > Neither Paul Wilson or Joe Baptista are the first to express such concerns
      > (as in, lack of coverage in regions outside north america has been around
      > since before the change from 9 to 13 roots, and was one of the causes of
      > said change), and neither will be the last.

        Yes and I did not indicate that either of them were in my comments
      above Bruce.  None the less as to the recent DDOS attacks upon
      Root servers has been highly publicized of LATE by Joe Baptista
      and long ago now he amongst others including myself, warned
      of this being on the horizon back in 1996, it seems that it took
      Far too long for ICANN/APNIC to address this than inevitable
      set of occurrence's to address them...

      > The only thing that Paul can take credit for is for finally _moving_ on
      > such concerns (in conjunction with ISC), using the mid-October attacks
      > against the root (and other) servers to good advantage.

        Yes and much of the exposure could have and should have been
      avoided long ago now as Paul Vixie, Paul M., Joe Baptista, Jim
      Fleming, and Karl Auerbach had warned about 6 years ago now.

      > On a related note, the RIPE NCC is also considering a similar spreading of
      > the K.root service around Europe, again with existing plans being spurred
      > onwards by said attacks.

        Yes this was known for some time and announced several days ago now.

      > > Jeffrey A. Williams
      > > Spokesman for INEGroup - (Over 127k members/stakeholders strong!)
      >
      > Thats nice for you.
      >
      > --==--
      > Bruce.
      >
      > Speaking for myself.
      >
      > *              APNIC-TALK: General APNIC Discussion List             *
      > * To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to apnic-talk-request at apnic dot net *

      Jeffrey A. Williams
      E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix dot netcom dot com
      Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801