[apnic-talk] Re: "operation of new root name servers in the APNIC region

  • To: "apnic-talk at apnic dot net" <apnic-talk at apnic dot net>
  • Subject: [apnic-talk] Re: "operation of new root name servers in the APNIC region"
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1 at ix dot netcom dot com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:00:55 -0800
  • Sender: owner-apnic-talk@apnic.net
    • All apnic members,

        The following is from discussion on the ICANN DNSO GA
      list forum:

        As you know Jim, mirrored-root server service is a meager attempt to
      tacitly admit but not yet technically realize that multiple or
      Shared-Roots methodology is and has always been the way to go.  As you
      also know, Paul Vixie at one time was the administrator of F-root until
      he was persuaded to turn it over to ICANN.  ISC, an organization of Paul
      Vixie's origination, also well known by those of us that have been
      around for awhile, was strongly at one time in support to Multiple or
      Sharred-Root structures.

      Jim Fleming wrote:

      > http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?day0/223210010&ticker=
      > ( BW)(GA-INTERNET-SOFTWARE) Internet Software Consortium expands DNS ''Root Server'' Footprint; ISC and APNIC Launch ''F-root''
      > Services in the Asia Pacific
      >
      >     Business Editors/High Tech Writers
      >
      >     ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 17, 2002--ISC (Internet Software Consortium) and APNIC (Asia Pacific Network Information Centre)
      > announce an agreement to dramatically improve the strength and integrity of the Internet infrastructure worldwide. ISC and APNIC
      > will jointly pursue the operation of new root name servers in the APNIC region, using mirror copies of the existing F-root operated
      > by ISC. This agreement will strengthen the Domain Name System (DNS) by deploying additional resources to handle growing Internet
      > traffic and to disperse malicious traffic directed at root servers.
      >     Paul Wilson, Director General, APNIC, commented, "Internet security is on everyone's minds these days, and the DNS
      > infrastructure has been shown recently to be a real target. APNIC has often been urged to support operational security efforts, and
      > this is one way we can really help. As this project develops, we have the prospect of providing root services throughout the region,
      > with substantially improved reachability and response times. That will be of noticeable benefit to Asia Pacific ISPs and end-users
      > alike."
      >     The new servers will be placed in locations to reach the largest possible Internet user base, including diverse IP transit
      > providers, and carrier-neutral Internet exchanges. Every effort will be made to see root DNS queries answered locally for as many
      > Internet Service Providers (ISPs) as possible.
      >     Paul Vixie, ISC Chairman, added, "Until now, ISC has offered root name service from local data centers using our own resources.
      > Even before the recent attacks on the root server system, we realized that to fully serve the entire Internet community - and to
      > defend against further attacks - we needed our F-root name service to have a global footprint, with mirrors in many countries.
      > APNIC's strength and vision makes them the perfect launch partner for this effort. ISC will continue to manage all F-root servers,
      > but we're now reaching out to the Internet community to help us offer the service in a lot more locations."
      >
      >     --30--cs/sf*
      >
      >     CONTACT: ISC
      >              Paul Vixie, 650/779-7001 (ISC Chairman)
      >              Paul_Vixie@ISC.ORG
      >              or visit www.isc.org
      >                or
      >              APNIC
      >              Paul Wilson, +61 7 3858 3100 (Director General)
      >              dg at apnic dot net
      >              or visit www.apnic.net
      >
      >     KEYWORD: afxal GEORGIA INTERNATIONAL ASIA PACIFIC TRACK
      >     INDUSTRY KEYWORD: COMPUTERS/ELECTRONICS INTERNET SOFTWARE
      > NETWORKING
      >     SOURCE: Internet Software Consortium

      Jeffrey A. Williams
      E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix dot netcom dot com
      Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801
      *              APNIC-TALK: General APNIC Discussion List             *
      * To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to apnic-talk-request at apnic dot net *