RE: Whois - Apnics RIR whois bugs? Re: [apnic-talk] Is the NIC-HDLid sup

  • To: Meng Tsai <tsaim at mft dot com>
  • Subject: RE: Whois - Apnics RIR whois bugs? Re: [apnic-talk] Is the NIC-HDLid supposed to be unique
  • From: John Tran <john at apnic dot net>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 18:11:01 +1000 (EST)
  • Cc: apnic-talk at apnic dot net, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga at dnso dot org>
  • Sender: owner-apnic-talk@apnic.net
      Dear Meng,

      Thank you for your enquiry about your nic-handle.

      Searches of the APNIC Whois Database include results from the TWNIC Whois database too, which is
      mirrored. As nic-handles are created independently in each of the databases it's possible records
      will exist with apparently identical keys.

      However, nic-handles are unique in their respective databases. Your nic-handle is sourced from the
      APNIC Whois Database while the other nic-handle is sourced from the TWNIC Whois Database.
      Therefore, your nic-handle is unique in the APNIC database.

      No inter-database referencing of objects occurs. Consequently it would not be possible for someone
      to use a nic-handle from the TWNIC database to update an object in the APNIC database.

      To avoid confusion, it's possible to restrict searches to a particular database by adding the
      following command option to your Whois search:

        -s <source>, eg. -s APNIC or -s TWNIC

      To illustrate the different database sources I've highlighted these and the nic-handles in the
      search results below.

        person:       Meng Tsai
        address:      Alley 286, No. 54, 3rd Floor,
        address:      Chein Kuo South Road
        phone:        +886-2-701-9128
        e-mail:       tsaim at mft dot com
      **nic-hdl:      MT1-TW
        notify:       dbmon at apnic dot net
        mnt-by:       MAINT-NULL
        changed:      hostmaster at apnic dot net 19950912
      **source:       APNIC

        person:       Michael Tasi
        address:      Charming Information Co., Ltd.
        address:      18NO MIN.CHIH.TUNG.RD HSIN.YING.CATY
        address:      TAINAN County TAIWAN
        country:      TW
        phone:        +886-7-225-1215
        fax-no:
        e-mail:       askdog at mail dot tonet dot net
      **nic-hdl:      MT1-TW
        remarks:      This information has been partially mirrored by APNIC from
        remarks:      TWNIC. To obtain more specific information, please use the
        remarks:      TWNIC whois server at whois.twnic.net.
        hanged:      hostmaster at twnic dot net 19990924
      **source:       TWNIC

      I trust that this explains the apparent duplication of nic-handles. If you have any more questions
      please contact the APNIC Member Services Helpdesk at:

          Phone:    +61-7 3858-3188
          Fax:      +61-7-3858-3199
          Email:    helpdesk at apnic dot net

      Best wishes

      Son
      Resources Services Manager                      <Son at apnic dot net>
      Asia Pacific Network Information Centre       phone: +61 7 3858 3100
      http://www.apnic.net                          fax:   +61 7 3858 3199
      Helpdesk                                      phone: +61 7 3858 3188
                                                    email: helpdesk at apnic dot net
      Please send Internet Resource Requests to <hostmaster at apnic dot net>