[apnic-talk] "...13 golden addresses for root-servers..."
- To: <marc at fuchsia dot bijt dot net>, "Daniel Karrenberg" <Daniel.Karrenberg at ripe dot net>
- Subject: [apnic-talk] "...13 golden addresses for root-servers..."
- From: "Jim Fleming" <JimFleming at ameritech dot net>
- Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:20:38 -0600
- Cc: "Bruce Young" <Bruce at barelyadequate dot info>, "@quasar Internet Solutions, Inc." <shore at quasar dot net>, <andy at ccc dot de>, "Ben Edelman" <edelman at law dot harvard dot edu>, <DannyYounger at cs dot com>, "Elisabeth Porteneuve" <Elisabeth.Porteneuve at cetp dot ipsl dot fr>, <eric at hi-tek dot com>, <espresso at e-scape dot net>, <hans.klein at pubpolicy dot gatech dot edu>, <jefsey at jefsey dot com>, "Joanna Lane" <jo-uk at rcn dot com>, "Joe Baptista" <baptista at dot-god dot com>, "Joey Borda **star*walker**" <starwalker at gay dot com>, "Joop Teernstra" <terastra at terabytz dot co dot nz>, <jwkckid1 at ix dot netcom dot com>, <k at widgital dot com>, <karl at cavebear dot com>, <love at cptech dot org>, <ray at fassett dot org>, "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson at ntlworld dot com>, "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at vrx dot net>, <steinle at smartvia dot de>, <yjpark at myepark dot com>, <apnic-talk at apnic dot net>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-full/Arc11/msg02030.html "Below an idea that RIPE (which operates K) is considering. In short: there would be several machines with the same IP number in different places using anycast. So there would in fact be more root-servers that appear to be just one of the 13." ==== RIPE lives off of leasing 32-bit address space, not root-server operations. http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space As for 13 golden addresses for root-servers. Some ISPs just route all 13 of those addresses to two local machines and then have those one or two machines reply with the TLD zones they want to support. They then send no traffic to the "real roots", no matter where they are located in the world. Jim Fleming 128-bit DNS is closer than you think... COM...DE...NET...ORG...INFO...BIZ...US...ONLINE http://ipv8.dyndns.tv http://ipv8.dyns.cx http://ipv8.no-ip.com http://ipv8.no-ip.biz http://ipv8.no-ip.info http://ipv8.myip.us http://ipv8.dyn.ee http://ipv8.community.net.au * APNIC-TALK: General APNIC Discussion List * * To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to apnic-talk-request at apnic dot net *