[apnic-talk] Moving Forward: Call for Volunteers (editing/drafting)

  • To: <apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net>
  • Subject: [apnic-talk] Moving Forward: Call for Volunteers (editing/drafting)
  • From: "Mark McFadden" <mcf at uwm dot edu>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:37:49 -0500
  • Sender: owner-apnic-talk@lists.apnic.net
    • All:

      With the conclusion of the RIPE meeting last week in Amsterdam there
      have been presentations at each RIR and the ASO General Assembly on the
      plan for redrafting RFC 2050.

      In each case I've made a call for comments on the proposed principles
      and the proposed series of documents.  It's easy to summarize the
      comments on the document series: there was very little.  Instead, many
      comments surrounded how to publish the documents.  Some suggested that
      the resulting documents be presented as IETF Informational RFCs.

      It seems to me, based on the input I've received, that we can proceed
      with the drafting of some of the documents BEFORE we agree HOW they are
      to be published.

      What I'd like to do now is put out a public call for volunteers to work
      on small editorial teams to draft initial versions of the new documents.
      The goal would to be to draft initial versions, submit them to this and
      other appropriate lists, and present them at upcoming RIR meetings.
      I've listed below the entire series of documents that have been
      proposed.

      Now, I'd like to build small, volunteer groups who would be willing to
      work on drafting initial documents for the series.  In particular, I'd
      like to have volunteers for:

      IP-ADDRdoc 1: INSTRUCTIONS TO EDITORS AND AUTHORS OF IP-ADDRdocs;
      IP-ADDRdoc 2: A GUIDE TO ADDRESSING POLICY, ALLOCATION, AND PRINCIPLES;
      IP-ADDRdoc 3: THE PRINCIPLES OF IP ADDRESS ALLOCATION FOR IPv4; and,
      IP-ADDRdoc 5: THE PRINCIPLES OF AS NUMBER ASSIGNMENT

      If you would like to volunteer for work on the drafting/editing of these
      documents -- and I hope you do -- please reply to this email with an
      indication of which of the documents you would like to work on.  I hope
      to have small teams assembled in a week or so.

      Thanks, the entire document series is pasted below.

      Mark

      Mark McFadden
      21st Century Texts
      Internet Infrastructure Consulting for a New Century
      Madison Wisconsin
      mcfadden at 21st-century-texts dot com

      To review, the proposed document series has the following documents:

      RFC 2050 REPLACEMENT DOCUMENT SERIES (ADDRESSING POLICY AND RIR
      FRAMEWORK) "IP-ADDRdocs"

      IP-ADDRdoc 1: INSTRUCTIONS TO EDITORS AND AUTHORS OF IP-ADDRdocs A
      document describing the purpose of the documents.  How each document is
      to be formatted, written, approved and published.  A METAdocument for
      the IP-ADDRdoc series.

      IP-ADDRdoc 2: A GUIDE TO ADDRESSING POLICY, ALLOCATION, AND PRINCIPLES A
      guide intended to provide an introduction to IP addressing policy, the
      organization of the regional registries, and the RIR hierarchy to
      individuals and organizations not intimately connected to the RIRs.
      Tutorial in nature, this document would also provide a glossary to
      commonly used terms at the RIRs and in addressing policy in general.
      Much of the content for this section replaces Section 1 of RFC 2050 and
      puts it into a "readable," user-friendly form.

      IP-ADDRdoc 3: THE PRINCIPLES OF IP ADDRESS ALLOCATION FOR IPv4 This is
      also part of the original RFC in section 1, but could easily stand on
      its own. The document would also describe (or provide pointers to
      information about) addressing decisions that address special cases in
      IPv4.  This will certainly include private address space (with a pointer
      to the appropriate RFC) and multicast.  It might include other instances
      where special or reserved assignments have been made (either by IANA or
      by the RIRs).

      IP-ADDRdoc 4: THE PRINCIPLES OF IP ADDRESS ALLOCATION FOR IPv6
      Self-explanatory, but in the wake of a recent RIPE meeting, a
      potentially challenging document to write.

      IP-ADDRdoc 5: THE PRINCIPLES OF AS NUMBER ASSIGNMENT Self-explanatory.

      IP-ADDRdoc 6: CRITERIA GUIDELINES FOR IPv4 ADDRESS ALLOCATION This is a
      reworking of Sections 2 through 4 of RFC 2050.  Special attention would
      be paid to the common criteria used in all registries with pointers to
      RIR operational documents.  This document would also define critical
      terms, such as "engineering plans," "assignment history," "utilization
      rate," and so forth.

      IP-ADDRdoc 7: REVERSE MAPPING SERVICES FOR IPv4 Self-explanatory.  This
      document would be a replacement for RFC 2050's section 5 and document
      the architecture and maintenance of IN-ADDR.ARPA.

      IP-ADDRdoc 8: ADDRESSING AND NUMBERING ORGANIZATIONS AND RELATIONSHIPS
      This document would include a description of the RIRs, IANA, ICANN, and
      the IETF.  The document would document the relationship between the
      RIR's and ICANN (a pointer to the MoU and explanatory text), the
      mechanism by which new registries come into existence (or a pointer),
      the relationship between RIRs and the ASO, and the relationship between
      the RIRs and the IETF.  This document would also replace the "Right to
      Appeal" section of RFC 2050's Section 6.  The document would also
      provide pointers to previously published documents regarding the
      procedures under which the ICANN Address Council and Address Supporting
      Organizations work.  These pointers may include documents that define
      the relationship between the AC, ASO and the RIRs.

      *              APNIC-TALK: General APNIC Discussion List             *
      * To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to apnic-talk-request at apnic dot net *