[apnic-talk] Address Policy Meeting - discussion paper

  • To: apnic-talk at lists dot apnic dot net
  • Subject: [apnic-talk] Address Policy Meeting - discussion paper
  • From: APNIC Secretariat <secretariat at apnic dot net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:31:18 +1000 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-apnic-talk@lists.apnic.net
      The following paper is being sent to apnic-talk at apnic dot net in preparation
      for the upcoming Address Policy SIG at the APNIC Open Policy meeting.
      Discussion and feedback on this list is welcome.

      Title: "Separate Assignment Policies for ISPs and End-Users"
      Author: Izumi Okutani, JPNIC

      Separate Assignment Policies for End-Users and ISPs

      Background

      Currently, there are two types of network which global addresses are
      assigned: ISPs' network and end-users' network.

      As you can see from the definition below, they are used for quite
      different purposes.

      -End-users' network: Network constructed for the end-users' own use
      -ISPs' network: Network constructed to provide service to end-user's
       customers

      As a result of the difference in their purpose, the attributes are
      also quite different:

      Attributes of End users' network
      -In most cases, requires global address for their servers: their
       number is unlikely to change drastically within a year.
      -It will be used for their own network: easier to make a realistic
       and accurate estimation.
      -Doesn't require a large number of global addresses: even for a very
       large company, the number of network equipment that requires a
       global address can only be so much.

      Attributes of ISPs' network
      -ISP's network is constructed for their end users' and not for their
       own use: network topology depends on the number of end-users they
       have.
      -Requires a large number at once: at least two digits

      However, under the current policy, the same assignment policy of
      "assignments based on 1 year's estimation" applies to both end users' and
      ISPs' and networks despite the difference in their purpose and attributes.

      Having the same policy for these two different types of network leads to
      the problems described in the next section.

      Therefore, I would like to propose making a separate assignment policy for
      ISPs' networks, i.e. assess their needs on the actual usage rather than
      one year's estimate,

      Problems with the current assignment policy It is not realistic to make
      assignments on one-year's needs for ISPs' networks for the following
      reasons:

      -From the fast changing nature of the internet business, there a higher
       chance of actual needs not matching the initial estimation:  You never
       know if the services they are providing will still be on the market after
       a year, and it is difficult to make an accurate estimation of the needs
       for ISP's network, even for those who are doing the business themselves

      -The numbers they request are large; a greater number of global
       addresses will be wasted if the needs were overestimated.
      -Consistency between ISPs: ISPs which request for allocation will
       have their needs assessed on approximately three months basis, while
       those which request for address assignment will have their needs
       assessed on one year span.

      Proposal
      Make a separate policy for assignments for ISPs' networks: do not
      assess its needs on 1 year's estimation, but on the actual usage.

      Here is the current practice at JPNIC:

      Assignment for existing services
      We make assessments based on the needs they had in past one year, and
      approve what a hostmaster considers appropriate. This may not necessarily
      be the amount of address expected to be required in one year.

      The information that we base our judgment varies depends on the service
      and the details are listed below:

      Dial-up services
      We make assessments based on the following information:
      -The increase in the number of equipment and PRI: 3months/6 months/1
       year
      -User: address ratios
      -The number of customers for the past one-year on monthly basis
      -The number of customers estimated for the next one year on monthly
       basis

      By asking for monthly record and estimate, we are able to see the trend in
      the increase of customers and see if their estimate is realistic.
      Furthermore, the monthly estimate allows us to make more fine judgment to
      meet its needs for a particular duration.

      Cable services
      We make assessments based on the following information:
      -User: address ratios
      -The number of customers for the past one-year on monthly basis
      -The number of customers estimated for the next one year on monthly
       basis
      -List of current customers

      Hosting services
      -User: address ratios
      -The number of customers for the past one-year on monthly basis
      -The number of customers estimated for the next one year on monthly
       basis
      -List of current customers

      Please note that there may be other source of reference if the information
      listed above is not appropriate to see the needs of that particular
      network.

      Assignment for new services
      For new services, we do ask for the monthly estimate for one-year, but
      since it has no past records, it is difficult to see if their estimation
      is realistic.

      Therefore, we approve the amount of address to meet their immediate needs,
      and then ask them to make a request again when their needs exceeds this
      block.

      We judge the "immediate needs" by looking at various references such as
      their monthly estimate, asking what they consider is reasonable and in the
      case of dial-up services, by the equipment they would have purchased at
      the time of the start-up, etc. This depends on the case, so it is
      difficult to give a reference that applies to all cases.

      By the time they make the second request, they would be able to provide us
      with more information on the number of customers for the service, so we
      would have more evidence to base our judgment, and may give approval for
      more long term needs.

      Pros and Cons

      Pros
      -Assignment based on the actual use, not estimation.
      -Allows more fine assessment.

      Cons
      -May be difficult to draw the line between ISPs and end-users' networks
       in some special cases

      Conclusion
      Having a separate policy for ISP assignments based on the actual usage,
      and not on 1 year's estimate will lead to more efficient use of the
      address, and match the current practice.

      Izumi Okutani, JPNIC

      APNIC Secretariat
      <secretariat at apnic dot net>
                                                           Tel: +61-7-3367-0490
      Asia Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC) Ltd  Fax: +61-7-3367-0482
      Level 1, 33 Park Road, PO Box 2131, Milton, QLD 4064, Australia

      *              APNIC-TALK: General APNIC Discussion List             *
      * To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to apnic-talk-request at apnic dot net *