[apnic-announce] Announcement: New root server sites in the Asia Pacific

  • To: <apnic-announce at lists dot apnic dot net>
  • Subject: [apnic-announce] Announcement: New root server sites in the Asia Pacific region
  • From: "Paul Wilson" <pwilson at apnic dot net>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:23:01 +1000
  • Sender: owner-apnic-announce@apnic.net
    • [Note "reply-to:" field]

      Dear Colleague,

      Today APNIC announces a new cooperative project initiative, to bring
      more root server sites into the Asia Pacific region.  This will be done
      initially by installing mirror copies of the F-Root server which is
      currently operated by the ISC (Internet Software Consortium, the
      non-profit organisation responsible for the "bind" software).  These
      copies will be announced into the Internet routing system using the "BGP
      anycast" technique, which will ensure that traffic from any location to
      the F-Root is directed to the nearest server site.

      The sites which are supported will be fully operational root server
      sites, however this initiative is currently a trial project for APNIC.
      We have been asked many times to take some involvement in root server
      operations, but we need to gauge carefully the cost and effectiveness of
      the activity. This will be done over the coming year, while at the same
      time the benefits of this development will be experienced by many in the
      region.

      Initial sites for new root servers in the region are under negotiation.
      Additional sites will need to be selected carefully, however I would be
      interested to hear from any appropriate party which is willing to
      assist. Please see the press release below for further information.

      We hope that this initiative will be widely supported by the APNIC and
      Asia-Pacific Internet communities, in the interests of a more stable and
      accessible DNS infrastructure in this region. As members of that
      community, your feedback is most welcome, either to me directly, or to
      the "apnic-talk" mailing list.

      Best regards,

      Paul Wilson
      Director General.

      ===

      http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?day0/223210010

      ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 17, 2002--ISC (Internet Software
      Consortium) and APNIC (Asia Pacific Network Information Centre) announce
      an agreement to dramatically improve the strength and integrity of the
      Internet infrastructure worldwide. ISC and APNIC will jointly pursue the
      operation of new root name servers in the APNIC region, using mirror
      copies of the existing F-root operated by ISC. This agreement will
      strengthen the Domain Name System (DNS) by deploying additional
      resources to handle growing Internet traffic and to disperse malicious
      traffic directed at root servers.

          Paul Wilson, Director General, APNIC, commented, "Internet security
      is on everyone's minds these days, and the DNS infrastructure has been
      shown recently to be a real target. APNIC has often been urged to
      support operational security efforts, and this is one way we can really
      help. As this project develops, we have the prospect of providing root
      services throughout the region, with substantially improved reachability
      and response times. That will be of noticeable benefit to Asia Pacific
      ISPs and end-users alike."

          The new servers will be placed in locations to reach the largest
      possible Internet user base, including diverse IP transit providers, and
      carrier-neutral Internet exchanges. Every effort will be made to see
      root DNS queries answered locally for as many Internet Service Providers
      (ISPs) as possible.

          Paul Vixie, ISC Chairman, added, "Until now, ISC has offered root
      name service from local data centers using our own resources. Even
      before the recent attacks on the root server system, we realized that to
      fully serve the entire Internet community - and to defend against
      further attacks - we needed our F-root name service to have a global
      footprint, with mirrors in many countries. APNIC's strength and vision
      makes them the perfect launch partner for this effort. ISC will continue
      to manage all F-root servers, but we're now reaching out to the Internet
      community to help us offer the service in a lot more locations."