Re: [Ap-ipv6tf] [Members] FW: Have you seen this? Nortel selling Interne

  • To: "'Vint Cerf'" <vint at google dot com>
  • Subject: Re: [Ap-ipv6tf] [Members] FW: Have you seen this? Nortel selling Internet addresses to Microsoft for $7.5 million
  • From: "Latif LADID \(\"The New Internet based on IPv6\"\)" <latif at ladid dot lu>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:17:06 +0200
  • Cc: ap-ipv6tf at lists dot ap-ipv6tf dot org, nav6tf at ipv6forum dot com, members at ipv6forum dot com
      __________________Latif

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Vint Cerf [mailto:vint at google dot com]
      Sent: 27 March 2011 13:11
      To: Latif LADID (The New Internet based on IPv6)
      Cc: members at ipv6forum dot com; nav6tf at ipv6forum dot com;
      ap-ipv6tf at lists dot ap-ipv6tf dot org
      Subject: Re: [Members] FW: Have you seen this? Nortel selling Internet
      addresses to Microsoft for $7.5 million

      treating IP addresses as property has many bad consequences (not the
      least, the temptation to fragment IPv4 blocks and sell them off -
      potentially inflating the v4 routing tables beyond operational
      capacity). At the very least, it seems important that all v4 and v6
      address space should be subject to RIR assignment rules so as to
      manage the space properly.

      On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Latif LADID ("The New Internet based
      on IPv6") <latif at ladid dot lu> wrote:
      > Comments?

      Microsoft
      > for $7.5 million
      >

      > http://www.totaltele.com/printablearticle.aspx?ID=463504
      >

      > Nortel selling Internet addresses to Microsoft for $7.5 million
      >

      > By Peg Brickley, Dow Jones Daily Bankruptcy Review
      >
      > Wednesday 23 March 2011
      >
      > Canadian vendor selling assets in order to raise money for creditors.
      >
      > Nortel Networks Corp. is doing its bit to alleviate the Internet space
      > crunch, selling 666,624 IP addresses to Microsoft Corp. for $7.5 million.
      >
      > The Canadian telecommunications-equipment maker, which filed for
      bankruptcy
      > protection in 2009, is selling assets to raise money for creditors. In
      court
      > papers Monday, Nortel urged quick approval of the address sale to make the
      > most of the opportunity to profit from its store of strings of numbers
      that
      > identify particular devices hooked to the Internet: computers, Web-enabled
      > phones, and other gadgets.
      >
      > Nortel's numbers date back to the 1990s and are dubbed "legacy numbers," a
      > signal they predate the regional Internet registries that now control the
      > supply of numbers. They are among the last of the IPv4 addresses, created
      in
      > 1981, and are in short supply.
      >
      > The opportunity to make money from strings of numbers arose when the first
      > batch of IP addresses, the IPv4 numbers, sold out before the transition to
      > the next batch, IPv6, is complete. The switch to the IPv6 standard, which
      > promises an unlimited supply of Internet addresses, has been in the works
      > for years but recently has picked up speed due to the dawning realization
      > that the industry is running out of numbers.
      >
      > Nortel's plan is to sell Microsoft its numbers "on an 'as is' and 'where
      is'
      > basis, free and clear of all interests," according to a filing with the
      U.S.
      > Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., one of the courts presiding over the
      > company's breakup.
      >
      > The American Registry for Internet Numbers, one of five registries
      worldwide
      > that maintains the database of numbers, does not view IP addresses as
      > property that can be bought and sold. Policies allow transfers of
      addresses
      > as long as the entity taking over the numbers has and maintains a network
      > and can establish that they need them, said American Registry president
      and
      > chief executive John Curran.
      >
      > "At the end of the day, we are managing these as a pool of resources for
      the
      > internet community," Curran said."It's a duty of stewardship."
      >
      > A nonprofit organization, the American Registry adjusts its database to
      > reflect transfers--and pays no heed to the dollars involved--as long as
      the
      > participants play by the rules established by the Internet community, he
      > said. Some organizations that received outsized allotments at the dawning
      of
      > the Internet have returned them, recognizing the need to conserve a vital
      > resource for the Internet community. Though the IPv6, has been in the
      works
      > for years, stretching out the supply of old addresses, the IPv4 batch, has
      > bought vital time.
      >
      > "These numbers were provided free to organizations that wanted to be
      > involved in the Internet," Curran said. "They were received simply for the
      > asking."
      >
      > For decades, the idea of making a market in IP addresses ran up against
      the
      > difficulty of getting people to pay for something they could get for free.
      > Then came the space crunch, which happened officially on Feb. 3, when the
      > last of the original supply of some 4.3 billion addresses ran out.
      >
      > Along with the other registries, the American Registry received its final
      > allotment of 16 million addresses to hand out. The registry is rationing
      the
      > addresses, doling out only a three-month supply at a time, Curran said.
      How