Dear Policy SIG members:
I'd like to post the summary of last Policy SIG meeting on behalf of Policy SIG Chair and Co-Chair.
We had the meeting at Hanoi on 8 September 2005. - there were 66 participants in session 1 and 86 participants in session 2. - 4 policy proposals and 6 informational presentations.
1. IANA policy for allocation of IPv6 blocks to RIRs Paul Wilson The proposal include (1)Allocation sufficient for 18 month period (not 36) (2)Those with less than /12 unallocated address space to receive an allocation from IANA RIRs to receive additional IPv6 space when a. available space is less than 50% of a /12. b. available space of IPv6 addresses is less than RIR requirement for the following 9 months. The proposal reached consensus at the Policy SIG meeting and AMM
2. Proposal to amend APNIC IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement policy Geoff Huston During the discussions, the proposer agreed to a request to separate into 2 proposals 2.1 Proposal part 1: Evaluation for subsequent allocations to be based on an HD-Ratio value of 0.94 The proposal reached consensus at the Policy SIG meeting and AMM
2.2 Proposal part 2: Add a /56 end-site allocation point (in addition to /64 and /48) and default end-site allocation for SOHO end sites to be a /56 The proposal didn't reached consensus at the Policy SIG meeting
3. Proposal for discrete networks and national peering Uchenna N Ibekwe This is a proposal to permit large ISPs to manage multiple country accounts under a single APNIC membership using the concept of discrete networks. The proposal also recommends that APNIC allocate routable aggregate blocks of IPv6 to enable Global/Continental-regional/National peering for Large ISPs with global facilities. The proposal didn't reached consensus at the Policy SIG meeting
Informational presentations were as follows: 4. Alternative address allocation algorithm for IPv6, Mei Weng
5. Resource recovery policy - implementation update, Son Tran
6. RIR policy development update, Save Vocea
7. LIR survey result, Save Vocea
8. IP address space transfer between Taiwan LIRs, Ching-Heng Ku
9. Large IPv4 address space usage trial for future IPv6, Naota Sawabe
Finally Eugene Li was elected as new Co-chair of the Policy SIG.
The following are open action Items: (1) pol-20-001: Pending approval at each remaining stage of the policy proposal process, Secretariat to continue coordinating global acceptance of this policy [prop-005-v005] (2)pol-20-002: Pending approval at each remaining stage of the policy proposal process, Secretariat to continue coordinating global acceptance of the HD-ratio component of this policy [prop-031-v001]. (3)pol-20-003: APNIC Secretariat to refer further discussion of the LIR survey to the mailing list. [prop-020-v001].
All presentation materials are on the APNIC web page: http://www.apnic.net/meetings/20/programme/sigs/policy.html
Kenny Huang, Policy SIG Chair