Re: [s-asia-it] [pakgrid] Re: Open Letter: National ICT R&D Fund bending
- To: <pakgrid at yahoogroups dot com>
- Subject: Re: [s-asia-it] [pakgrid] Re: Open Letter: National ICT R&D Fund bending to Microsoft instead of facilitating struggling Entpreneurers!
- From: Ashiq Anjum <ashiq.anjum at cern dot ch>
- Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 03:37:04 +0000
- Cc: nidu_it_policy at yahoogroups dot com, Jamil <zahid at jamilandjamil dot com>, Qasim Sheikh <qasim.sheikh at ictrdf dot org dot pk>, Jamil Anwar <jamil.goheer at gmail dot com>, Salman Ansari <salman at super dot net dot pk>, bytesforall_readers at yahoogroups dot com, TGP Group <telecom-grid-pakistan at googlegroups dot com>, "farhana at qau dot edu dot pk" <farhana at qau dot edu dot pk>, Zahid, Shahida Saleem <shahida.saleem at gmail dot com>, Shahzad Ahmad <shahzad at bytesforall dot net>, Pakistan ICT Policy group <pakistanictpolicy at yahoogroups dot com>, s-asia-it at apnic dot net
- Delivered-to: s-asia-it at mailman dot apnic dot net
- In-reply-to: <701af9f70902180945v7240e99j95752173a5bc757b at mail dot gmail dot com>
- List-archive: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/s-asia-it>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "s-asia-it: South Asia Information Technology Mailing List" <s-asia-it.lists.apnic.net>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/s-asia-it>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://mailman.apnic.net/mailman/listinfo/s-asia-it>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- User-agent: Thunderbird 126.96.36.199 (Windows/20081209)
- Any funding body will only entertain those proposals that come under its research and development (R&D) programmes.
- If a proposal does not fulfil some minimum criteria, it will not even reach the screening phase.
- A committee of experts will evaluate the proposal based upon its innovation, technical strength, and future impact. In most cases, the committee members have PhD's, are very senior academics or R &D professionals in industry and have decades of experience. They are neutral, unbiased and have no stakes involved in the proposal that they are reviewing.
- All the scores received from reviewers are consolidated and therefore, each of the submitted proposals gets an aggregate/average score.
- Based upon the average scores they receive, all proposals are ranked.
- The principal investigators of top tank proposals are invited for an interview. A panel of experts questions the investigators about the budget, any questions/shortcomings that were brought forward from the review process are clarified, justification of the resources is required etc.
- In most cases, funding agencies interview more people than the available funds. For example, if they have to support 10 proposals, they will invite around 20 applicants that were top scorers in the overall ranking.
- The successful applications get a contract and then the funding agency monitors the activities against the objectives outlined in the proposal. The funds are released in instalments after reviewing the interim progress.
ICT R&D Fund is one of the few institutions in
country that are doing an excellent job. I remain in touch with the
are actively pursuing research projects at NUST, LUMS, UET and other
and they always appreciate the constructive role and support from the
First, if a researcher/professional/academic does not write a proposal, he/she will never be funded. Second, funding agency can not donate funds to its favourites. Only the top scorers who have an excellent proposal and can defend its objectives and outcomes are eligible.
Third, funding agency can not stop any legal entity from applying for funds. The process should be competitive, transparent and any one in the country can apply. Many Pakistani universities such as NUST are getting funds from European and American funding bodies in collaboration with their European/American counterparts.
Fourth, the role of a funding agency is to idenitfy areas of national interest and then take actions, which can facilitate the academics/researchers in achieving those objectives. No funding agency can build incubators for industry, probably this is outside of their scope.
Fifth, this is the role of a funding agency to
collaborations for promoting research cultures and provide help in
best minds closer. Top class universities and sound industrial partners
collaborate if they have a good idea, they can compete and they can
and innovation to new heights. This is the area where European and
funding bodies are striving to make an impact.
Bristol Institute of Technology,
Fouad Bajwa wrote: